Thread: Hunting With a Fellow American Detectorist Member! =D

Hunting With a Fellow American Detectorist Member! =D

Today me and Chuck (Atokad) met in his neck of the woods to do our first hunt together. (Which was my first non-solo hunt since I've started detecting!) I'm sure I can speak for both of us that we had a great time.

A lot of the spots we hunted ended up being so-so. So, we hunted so many spots I don't even know if I can remember them all. Wow, that's a lot of so's. Makes me hungry for general Tso's!

We hunted around a school, sports field, 2 different parks, a small 1891 home yard, 2 vacant lots of old home sites, an old church, tons of sidewalk strips. And uhh, did I cover them all?
    We started hunting at about 9:30 AM and went til about 6:30 PM with one small break.

We couldn't hunt the main spot of interest because of an ongoing event at the property. So what's going to happen is he's going to go back tomorrow without me and dig a dozen silvers. verreaction:

But that's okay. Because I got all the lucky swings today. It was bit comical when I pulled 2 wheats out from around an old foundation at only an inch then watch him dig up a 3 clad dime in the same spot. rofl

And it doesn't stop there! I also dug my merc at only an inch down off a sidewalk strip about the same time he dug a deeper 1959 memorial. :hysterical:

So Chuck, if you hit the motherload tomorrow at the spot You deserve it. thumbsup01

My finds included $4.73 in clad, 1 mercury dime, 7 wheats (oldest 1920), a modern token & a small copper locket.

Also if anyone knows, in the first picture on the far right is an old door lever that I dug. The kicker is It's made out of lead. I have never seen one made of lead before, so I was wondering if there's an estimated age?

Happy hunting everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Re: Hunting With a Fellow American Detectorist Member! =D

I had a blast today JD. That Merc cleaned up nice! Its in way better shape than I thought it was going to be. I ended up with $2 even in clad. It's a shame you couldn't share some of those wheats at least =D I'll put up some pics of those Eternit things tomorrow hopefully someone can ID them. I went to clean the copper pendant and almost all the plating went down the drain 8/

I will be in your area on the 6th so we will have to set something up for sure. As for the school we tried to hunt - rain for the next 3 days here so its gonna have to wait some more haha

I appreciate you taking the time to drive down and hunt I think that I learned a lot about my ATP today that would have taken a while on my own. Looking forward to doing it again soon!
    Did you ever open the locket? Curious if there was an inscription in it or maybe even a photo. Also... I can still hear that e-trac hum in my head :hysterical:
    2013: 2 Silvers - 1 Indian - 11 Wheats - $9.14 Clad

Your hunt with Atokad sounds like some of RobW's and myselfs hunts. Most times we are pretty even but somtimes the keepers only go to one person. on your merc and pile of wheats.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by Atokad link=topic=13147.msg139728#msg139728 date=1367039694
    I had a blast today JD. That Merc cleaned up nice! Its in way better shape than I thought it was going to be. I ended up with $2 even in clad. It's a shame you couldn't share some of those wheats at least =D I'll put up some pics of those Eternit things tomorrow hopefully someone can ID them. I went to clean the copper pendant and almost all the plating went down the drain 8/

I will be in your area on the 6th so we will have to set something up for sure. As for the school we tried to hunt - rain for the next 3 days here so its gonna have to wait some more haha

I appreciate you taking the time to drive down and hunt I think that I learned a lot about my ATP today that would have taken a while on my own. Looking forward to doing it again soon!
    Did you ever open the locket? Curious if there was an inscription in it or maybe even a photo. Also... I can still hear that e-trac hum in my head :hysterical:
    Cool, the 6th is right around the corner. We'll work something out for sure.

It actually started raining about a half hour after I left, so our timing couldn't have been better!

Yeah, would be cool if you can get pics of the the pendant and the thing.

On the back of that token I dug it says space needle and family fun center

There was nothing in the locket. It's so tiny. I was hoping for a solid gold nugget. lol

And no joke, I heard your AT pro until the moment I fell asleep (which didn't take long ) I guess new noises stick. Because I never hear my e-trac when I'm not swinging it. But then again that AT-pro really echoes. :hysterical:

All the wheats expect the last 2 I found at the church (the 1920 & 1941) are all from the 1,950's and all from denver. Strange! I'm sure you can tell which 2 came from the first spot. So nasty!

I tried to find the ETERNIT things on google with no luck so maybe someone else has seen them before.

The little iron disc I found has feet on it! I knew it wasn't words but I had no idea it had feet either haha

[attach=1][attach=2]
    Attached Images Attached Images   

LOL, the feet were unexpected! lol

I can try to figure out what the eternit things are, but I'm terrible with relics. I'm learning those as a go.

Nice finds.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Very cool that you two were able to get together for a hunt! It's always fun meeting another member of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Atokad link=topic=13147.msg139762#msg139762 date=1367090019
    The little iron disc I found has feet on it! I knew it wasn't words but I had no idea it had feet either haha
    Hey Chuck, I found something very similar a couple of weeks ago. I don't have a good photo of it, but you can see it in the middle right of this photo:

I assumed that it was part of a snap or button off of a jacket or pair of jeans.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Tony they look like the same thing to me. Pretty neat stuff!