Thread: First Skirmish Site of the Civil War

First Skirmish Site of the Civil War

We are pretty excited happydance02 about some newly aquired detecting grounds, that I thought I would share with you all.
    After taking up this exciting hobby, I starting researching on google about detecting in Missouri and brought up Civil War info. Found out that the town we moved to (17 years ago, after retiring from the USAF), had several battles, and after researching more, I found out that the very first skirmish of the Civil War happened right out side the town of Boonville Mo just 5 miles from my house. Now growing up, I lived just a few miles from the Manassas Battle Field Park in Va. and use to ride our bikes around the Bull Run area (for those of you who know Civil War history) as a kid. I had always know the Battle of Manassas was the start of the Civil War, well it was the first major battle, and after reading up on this subject, found out that a month prior to Manassas Battle, was the skirmish at Boonville on 17 Jun 1861.
    Well at work two weeks ago, I had a family member ask if I wanted to detect her father-in-laws land. I asked her who he was and what all was in that area, WELL turns out to be one of 3 farms which was the location of the Boonville' Skirmish Two days ago, we made a visit to the farmer, and introduced our self, and he brought out this 120 page report that was made by an Archaeologist group about the skirmish and thier findings of the area.
    So here we are now, made two visits out there so far and found a few items, one being a bullet. It's hard detecting now, due to the tall grasses, but there are a variety of areas to be worked.
    We'll be busy this summer. HH all.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Just one more Beep!

Re: First Skirmish Site of the Civil War

very cool! hope you do well on future visits! thumbsup01
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Thanks HEAVEYMETALNUT. I have high hopes for this area.
    Just one more Beep!

yeah , it looks like a great location to detect . i hope you do well there Eric.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You'll race home to grab your gear when you see the field has been mowed
    Looks like it's going to be a fun site.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks del, yea, I'm pretty excited about this site, and hope she still holds alot of history.
    You know OxShoeDrew, any more, my detector stays in my car 24/7. You never know what you'll come up on and yes, I can't wait till the field is mowed, BUT I do not know if it will or he will run his cattle on it. Either way we will work it some how. HH all.
    Just one more Beep!

Quote Originally Posted by buck57 link=topic=13239.msg140464#msg140464 date=1367841259
    Thanks del, yea, I'm pretty excited about this site, and hope she still holds alot of history.
    You know OxShoeDrew, any more, my detector stays in my car 24/7. You never know what you'll come up on and yes, I can't wait till the field is mowed, BUT I do not know if it will or he will run his cattle on it. Either way we will work it some how. HH all.
    I keep mine in the car also, I keep it covered, crack the windows, and put its seat belt on lol
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Green with envy is what I am!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Now that is cool !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That's right OxShoeDrew, we can't forget to buckle up ole detector buddy \. LOL

Skamaniac, I am very fortunet to have the chance to work this site, oh yea, did I also mentioned EXCITED. Good hunting to ya. thumbsup01

Thanks Lodge Scent. I still find it hard to sleep at night since I got permission. Always thinking about the area and which area to work next. I wish I had more vacation time at work crying01
    Just one more Beep!

Candidate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=13239.msg140496#msg140496 date=1367875131
    I keep mine in the car also, I keep it covered, crack the windows, and put its seat belt on lol
    I add a bowl of water for the coil. :hysterical:

Good luck in MO. I bet you will be showing us a lot of finds.
    Chuck

V3i

Hey thanks CTCDT. Yea, I think this site will produce alot of history. Just wish the grass wasn't so tall. I have a new updated post for this site, with three more relics. Good hunting to ya, thumbsup01
    Just one more Beep!