Thread: Sharing Finds Policy

Sharing Finds Policy

I'm sure this has probably been discussed here before, so if it has please bear with me.
    I have permission to hunt on what potentially might be a fairly lucrative site in terms of old coins.
    I don't believe this site has ever been hunted on.
    The owner asked the question and I'm not sure how to respond on how the finds are shared?
    I've never been in this situation before.
    What are normal policies when it comes to this situation.
    Is 50-50 the normal?
    Just looking for a little direction as to what other detectorists do?
    The owner might help with some of the digging??
    Thanx
    Eugene
    ACE 250 ATpro GTI2500
    V3I
    CTX3030
    Surf PI Pro
    Gabby

Re: Sharing Finds Policy

Hi Eugene,

It is a good question, and ultimately it is up to the two people involved. Everyone is different. To my way of thinking, everything on the property belongs to the owner. If they are kind enough to let you dig on their property and keep some of the finds, then it is THEM who is being generous. To me, the opportunity to hunt a virgin site would be so thrilling that I wouldn't mind the owner keeping the finds as long as I was able to photograph them first.

Here are some possible ways to share the finds:

1. The property owner keeps everything, you just hunt there for the fun of it.
    2. At the end of the hunt, lay out all of the finds and and take turns picking until the finds are divided evenly.
    3. You keep all of the coins, the owner keeps all of the jewelry and relics. (Or vice-versa.)
    4. You keep everything, but offer to pay guide or melt value for the coins or precious metals.
    5. You keep everything, but pay a flat fee up front for the privilege of hunting there. ($20 or so?)

These are just some ideas. Virgin sites are so hard to come by these days that most people would be willing to give and take just for the opportunity to hunt there.

Best of luck and let us know how it works out! thumbsup01

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Very well said tony! thumbsup01

I usually offer to show them what i find and as long as there is nothing really valuable ask if i can keep what i find. I also inform the owner that if i find anything family related they get it. And anything of great value (like a 1916-D mercury dime) i will pay them a fair price for. It's really up to the owner what they will accept for letting you dig. Just make suggestions like Tony said.

GL/HH
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Thanks for the suggestions.Not sure how I'll approach the owner though I suspect the 50-50 proposition will be the most inviting.
    I know I'll give him 100% of the nails and bottlecaps.
    Thanx again for taking the time to offer some good suggestions.
    Gabby

ACE 250 ATpro GTI2500
    V3I
    CTX3030
    Surf PI Pro
    Gabby