Thread: What are your found-coin percentages?

What are your found-coin percentages?

When you're out coinshooting, do you find more nickels, or dimes?

Do you find more wheatback pennies, or quarters?

Do you know? Do you keep ratio records?

In this podcast, I list my percentages over the years, and some reasons as to why they are surprising sometimes.

Listen to program #123 at http://thetreasurecorner.com. (It's short - less than 4 minutes.)

Re: What are your found-coin percentages?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

GREAT CHART!

Same detector all along, or did you switch machines somewhere along the way?

You should think about dividing coins into subgroups: copper/zinc penny, buffalo/jefferson nickel, etc.

I notice your trip total has dropped every year for a while - getting harder to make time to get away?

Thanks! I really like spreadsheets. lol

The sheet reflects my finds overall with every detector I have used over the years...

There are a number of flaws in my categories that I would go back and fix if I could. Right now &quotld means pre 1959 non war Jefferson nickels, pre 1959 Canadian pennies, and wheat pennies. Very old means anything non silver older than that (Buffs, V Nicks, IH Cents, two centers, large cents). Silver is just anything silver regardless of age (even Canadian). I would definitely do a better job breaking those up if I could start over. If I get really bored I still might try since I have details of the coins in other columns not shown.

Also, I would track hours hunted vs just plain number of trips. My spreadsheet tracks everything by site and adds up the totals for each. I've also tinkered with giving each site a rating based on the number of trips and the quantity and quality of finds. The number of trips doesn't really tell the whole story though if I usually hunt for an hour at a time at one spot vs 4 hours at a time at another.

I didn't get out as much last year because of work and buying a new home. Also, each year's total hunts are a bit lower because I now tend to spend more time at each spot.

I could babble about the number for a very long time... lol Thanks for a fun post!

Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by z118 link=topic=13276.msg140701#msg140701 date=1368200231
    Thanks! I really like spreadsheets. lol

I could babble about the number for a very long time... lol Thanks for a fun post!
    ....oh my god...you are the male equivalent of my wife....she is the goddess of spreadsheets and loves them...she can totally reduce everything to a spreadsheet
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

People with spreadsheets ruined baseball.

What do you call a proctologist with a spreadsheet?