Thread: Backyard surprises

Candidate Member

Backyard surprises

I bought my machine (Garrett AT Pro) maybe about a month ago. I've been to a couple public parks but haven't really turned up anything besides lots of clad. I live on a 5 acre plot of land in northern Vermont, I've been hunting on my property for a while now and have found some interesting things, thought I'd share.

The first real find I found was this. Did some research and this vanity case was produced from 1920-1925. Pompeian Bloom was a makeup company that eventually got bought out by Colgate sometime in the 60's. Mirror still intact!

[attachimg=1]

Second one is an old Yale lock, couldn't really find a date or anything else about. Please chime in if you've found something similar and have some info.

[attachimg=2]

The last one I've found to date. A general service eagle button from the World War I era, looks like it could have been made any where between 1902-1918. Says SCOVILL MF'G CO. WATERBURY on the back.

[attachimg=3]

Thanks for looking, just thought I'd share. Never know what you can find in your own backyard!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Backyard surprises

Those are pretty cool. Love that lock!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

great looking relics congrats
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on a few nice finds zenitramNaes. thumbsup01 Good luck on your 5 acres. Sounds like a honey hole. Need to grid it out and hunt every inch of that property
    Just one more Beep!

Candidate Member

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by buck57 link=topic=13286.msg140805#msg140805 date=1368323982
    Congrats on a few nice finds zenitramNaes. thumbsup01 Good luck on your 5 acres. Sounds like a honey hole. Need to grid it out and hunt every inch of that property
    Oh yeah, I've been doing the grid method. It used to be an old farmhouse and then a slaughter house after that. I've been finding lots of iron but there are nice things to be had here.

cool lock! keep at it your doing good!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

congrats on your finds with that much land to cover its hard to imagine just what you may find good luck in the future dennis

Candidate Member

So I was out for maybe 4 or 5 hours today. Started working up the side yard. Wasn't finding much but huge flat pieces of iron reading as if they were coins. \:[ After that I headed to the front yard, which is pretty small and I didn't have high hopes for. God, I was wrong. I kept digging coin after coin to my surprise, I even managed a sterling silver ring. Most of the coins were clad but I found two wheat pennies and a mercury dime. I've only found modern coins so I was really excited about these! Then, what's this, a wild 96 signal appears? 1946 Walking Liberty half dollar! 8 feet from the house. Unreal.

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=2]
    Attached Images Attached Images