Thread: how much am I missing out on?

how much am I missing out on?

So I was all excited this past week because I got permission to hunt a turn of the centry private residental property. Within the first 15 min. i found what i believe to be a 1950's pocket spill, 4 wheat cents and a 1942 merc Finally my 1st SILVER . all these coins where within a 5 foot radius and only about 2-3 in down. the next couple hours I didn't have a single solid hit. Lots of iffy signals but I dug a couple and they where only roofing nails. So my question is are all the good coins deeper then my poor little ace 250 can go. Is this a spot I should definatly go back to if I ever can afford a better detector? all input welcome, cory

Re: how much am I missing out on?

It's hard to say, some residential yards just don't have much, even if they've never been hunted before. If you went over the yard thoroughly, the ACE 250 probably found most of what's there.

After witnessing Silver Star outhunt all of us with his ACE 250 on a group hunt last year, I have a new respect for that machine.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

thanks for the response tony, Are you still heading up to wisconsin in June per your post in Hunting buddies

Quote Originally Posted by cjspearsdog link=topic=13324.msg141109#msg141109 date=1368815571
    Are you still heading up to wisconsin in June per your post in Hunting buddies?
    Yes, I will be staying at Merry Mac's Campground near Merrimac, WI on June 8-10.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

i have to agree with tony the 250 is a good detector and in the right hands it can be a great detector congrats on your finds dennis |

The Ace250 is great!

It is probably the ideal detector for what you are doing. What you might be missing with the Ace250 is the depth and decent identification of such. It suffers after about five inches. Just my experience, but it is a great machine..
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I have not dug many old coins as you have read but my question is, what is the average depth that you find silver, indians, buffs etc. ?

Hi there cjspearsdog.

As the others have mentioned... the Ace 250 is very capable machine. I know because I started this hobby with one.

From my experience, the machine will hit coins at 7 inches. But the 250 does have some difficulty seeing coins in trashy conditions.

Simple solution = dig the trash to reveal the keepers here.

Quote Originally Posted by cjspearsdog link=topic=13324.msg141134#msg141134 date=1368848295
    what is the average depth that you find silver, indians, buffs etc. ?
    For me here in Iowa... most keepers run from 5-8 inches. Some come up more shallow and some run deeper.
    But the average is usually in the 5-8 inch range.

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

From the land of the Bluenose.....never know and nobody gets it all even after about the 5th time there.

Right now missing everything as I'm stuck inside recovering from a knee replacement. Good luck on your next hunt! <
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!