Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little me and a coin.

Right in the centre of England (i hate the sea)

Little me and a coin.

Hello people, Just registered to say hi and more importantly get your opinions on a coin a friend of mine has aquired...

A bit about me....
    Been detecting since 1994 and still love it just as much as the day I started. Detect mainly in Oxfordshire, Worcestershire, and the Cotswolds. oldest find to date would be a Celtic Dobunni stater minted around 50BC....In my childrens eyes only about 100 years before I was born Probably the easiest way for you to get a an idea of me would be to list the the thing in America that i would most like to see....(in no specific order)....
    1. The old Zephyr skate board shop. Venice beach.
    2. The corkscrew at Laguna Seca.
    3. Gettysburg National park.
    4. Dealey Plaza.
    5. The Motown museum in Detroit.
    6. Del Mar skate park..although I hear its no longer there??
    7. That mountain type thing from Close Encounters in Wyoming *updated to include getting there on a Harley*
    8. Anywhere that looks like the scenery in various old cowboy films.
    9. The Bonnevile salt flats.
    10. A Rattle Snake by one of those big cactus things.
    11. A rolling tumble weed in the desert....which brings me to my next question..where do the tumble weeds end up?? is there a massive wall somewhere in the middle of the USA where they all collect?

Now..the coin in question and my reason for being here...a friend of mine works for an auctioneers and was given a box containing coins from one of his clients. Among these was this one....I know what its suppose to be but my question is, Is it fake or real Thats where you come in, I have not seen the coin first hand, so am unable to say what the edges look like. sorry

oh and before you ask....
    1. No I have never met the Queen.
    2. Yes i have electricity.
    3. No I dont live in a Castle or house with a thatched roof (sadl
    y)
    4. No i dont throw waste out of upstairs windows and yes I have a toilet (indoors)
    5. Yes there is a U in colour
    6. I like my eggs boiled and have no idea what sunny side up means
    lol

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your replys.

Jon.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Alea iacta es .... and so ended the Republic.

Re: Little me and a coin.

lol lol lol you have a great sense of humor Jon , welcome to the forum. the schilling looks to be in pretty nice shape , an oak-tree type . give me a couple of hours and i can get home to look up the variety and if its real.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thank you Dan, Thank you for the quick reply. I look forward to reading your findings

Jon , the variety type is called a Noe-1 , it looks good or real to me but i can't confirm it as real not seeing it in person . heres a picture of the same variety as yours . a coin like this will start out at 750 U.S. dollars in G-4 condition and can be worth up to 30,000 dollars in MS-60. hope this helps some .

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks again Dan, youre a Star.

I've never seen one of these coins before..I love the style/detail etc I'm now thinking of telling him its fake just so I can add it to my collection I reckon the price of 2 pints of beer should more than cover it thumbsup01

As I've said previous, thanks for the prompt response .

Jon.

If anyone else has any views/thoughts on this coin i would be very gratefull to hear from you.

Jon, Welcome to the forum!

Nice intro! I have only visited one spot on your list.. Gettysburg |

Thank you chief You've visited one more than me then mate

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin. It is always nice to welcome someone with a great sense of humor. I'm not too familiar with the coin you have questions about but it looks like Del has helped you out. The mountain thing in Close Encounters is called Devils Tower and it is in Wyoming. I rode my Harley there a couple of times and it is a beutiful site. Good luck with your searches and looking forward to your input.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

The mountain thing in Close Encounters is called Devils Tower... Oh yeah thats it Only been on the forum a few hours and already offended the entire population of Wyoming lol 8/

Riding a Harley to Devils tower...man that sounds like a great trip Ive just added that to my wish list.

thanks also for the welcome Fire fighter

Welcome from western MA. Yes we have a wall that the tumble weeds collect on and we clean it off yearly.

Loved your intro, hope you can empty your bucket list.

Looking forward to your furture posts.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

alright mukka !!!!!! oi oi from a brit living in connecticut , luvly coin that by the way.
    if you ever fancy a trip over here and wana knock some of those things of ya wish list gis a shout and you can stay at my house.
    im from the east end of london so im prolly gona kill you at some point during your stay , nick your detector and bury you in me garden.......just a heads up lmao.
    sereiosly mate, if you do need a place to dose for a few weeks over here do message me.
    welcome to the forum matey boy.

Welcome from western MA. Yes we have a wall that the tumble weeds collect on and we clean it off yearly
    Thank you for the welcome Aloldstuff, I knew there had to be a wall somewhere....all my mates reckon I was just mental...whos laughing now eh?

Thanks also to Lee... I'll deffo give you a shout if I'm ever over your way Nothing wrong with the East end of London..in my eyes that makes you a real Londoner. As for the killing, pinching part....being born in Pensnett (near Dudley) I find it rude not to pinch things rofl.
    Obviously being a &quotlack country lad I get accused of using the *language of the poor* quite often

For those not familiar with Dudley and the Black Country in general, think Beirut but with more desolation. Its that bad most of Africa send aid to us!!!!
    *Language of the poor* If you read this in the style of Prince Charles then your way off the mark. Think more Ozzy Osbourne but even harder to understand.

Wecome to the forum, Pona!

I'm definitely not an expert, but the coin looks like it could be authentic to me. It has the right color and wear patterns, and the old hole adds to its authenicity too.

Regarding your list, I have seen a rattlesnake in the wild but it wasn't near a cactus. However, I have been to the desert in Arizona and have seen many cactuses and tumbleweeds. All of the tumbleweeds eventually blow to Canada where they are woven into tuques.

I have also been to Devil's Tower in Wyoming on a Boy Scout trip in 1981. Our old Boy Scout bus was so dilapidated that we all had to get out and push every time we came to a steep uphill grade. When we finally got to Devil's Tower we were so excited that we all ran to the tower and started climbing up it. A not-so-amused park ranger on a bullhorn told us to come down and informed us that you had to have a permit to climb the tower.

And hey, if we can figure out Lee's cockney slang then we can understand anything! lol

Glad to have you here and I hope the coin is the real deal!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Hello Tony and thanks for your input regarding the coin. Yes i agree about the hole in the coin, its not round but more eye shaped, which I dont know but guessing old nails would have been that shape?? Having said that any coin faker worth his salt would probably know this too I'm going over to see the coin at the weekend so hopefully I can get a few more photos and post them up

I have seen a rattlesnake in the wild but it wasn't near a cactus tell it to try harder next time. lol

I have been to the desert in Arizona and have seen many cactuses and tumbleweeds. Cool! I will get to see this one day with a bit of luck.

All of the tumbleweeds eventually blow to Canada where they are woven into tuques. rofl i really did laugh out loud at that.

I like the Devils tower story so your not aloud to climb it? Richard Dreyfuss has a lot to answer for in my opinion :-\

Quote Originally Posted by Pona link=topic=13376.msg141530#msg141530 date=1369331707
    I like the Devils tower story so your not aloud to climb it? Richard Dreyfuss has a lot to answer for in my opinion :-\
    You're allowed to climb it but you have to get a permit first at the ranger station. I guess they want to know who to contact if you... have an accident or something. We were just climbing on the rocks at the base of it, but I guess you're not alllowed to do that without a permit either.

I didn't think to ask Richard Dreyfuss about it when I met him. lol

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

lol Touche my friend... thumbsup01 8/ 8/

Welcome from Washington state - The Other Washington. If you ever add visit an (occasionally) active volcano to your list I can set you up with a ride inside the crater by helicopter. (Don't worry, I'm not the pilot.)

Looking forward to your posts and pics of your finds.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Candidate Member

The Tumble weeds end up in North Las Vegas. All over the place.

Thank you for the welcome Skamaniac, The idea of being in a helicopter inside the crater of a volcano sounds fantastic...its the occasionally active part that troubles me lol.

Thanks for the reply Crazyrelic....my wifes been to Vegas...all i got was a 2 gaming chips If i'd have known i would have asked for a tumble weed

Welcome from South Mississippi. I haven't seen many hammered, but it looks like the real deal. check the coin edge for pour marks and if you don't see them you good. Welcome again and glad that you joined. Phil :uk:
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer