Thread: Question on mxt pro?

Question on mxt pro?

Hi im new to detecting. Well the new detectors that is. I've used an old coinmaster 6000 before but now want to upgrade. I am going to place an order for the mxt pro soon. I've decided I want to get the 9.5 coil for the trashy areas. Now here's my question. I plan on hunting some caches, hoards, ect. I want to read as deep as possible into the ground. I'm seeing that I can get a 21x17sef coil compatable with the mxt pro. I've been unable to find anyone or really any good info on this coil setup with the mxt pro. What can you tell me about it? Also while using a coil like this will I still be able to see coins say in the first 5 or 8 inches of soil?

P.s. I'm from Wi where we obviously get a lot of frost in the winter. Some are trying to tell me any jars of coins or bigger items will be pushed up closer to the surface over time. Have you ever heard this?
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Question on mxt pro?

Hello Treasureman , yes the frost line can be as deep as 2 to 3 feet . this is how deep the ground can freeze , around here in Connecticut thats why we have a bulding codes that says you have to plant poles or footing for outside patio decks , septic tanks , ect to a depth of atleast 48 inches deep (under the frost line). otherwise when the ground freezes the frost heaves can push it around and closer to the surface. so yeah any thing burried less that this can be pushed to the surface over time . the mxt pro is a great machine and depending on the size of the cache or what it is stored in even a smaller coil will see it at pretty good depths. generally bigger or wider coils are for better or more coverage of an area than for more depth , the 21x17 coil is a huge one and i'm wondering how effective it will be without the usual issues associated with bigger coils like EMI , weight . hope this helps some and i wish you the best .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks for the info! What coil would you recommend for hunting really deep?
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureman25 link=topic=13426.msg142053#msg142053 date=1369939196
    Thanks for the info! What coil would you recommend for hunting really deep?
    it would really depend on the items or caches size , lets say your looking for a mason jar full of coins . the normal zinc lids on these jars are easily picked up at about 12 to 15 inches with a stock coil maybe up to 20 inches with a 12 to 15 inche coil , but remember we're talking about someone who is very familiar with thier machine . A new to the hobby and with an unfamiliar machine may miss these targets . I use a dfx usually with a 6x10 coil and i can hit mason jar lids at 12 inches deep all day long . I recommend you don't start out with anything bigger than the 12 inch coil and get familiar with the pro , it will give you the best overall advantage .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Just an opinion....if you were burying a cache or hoard of some sort, would you bury it real deep? OR would you place it where you could get to it fast? Just something to think about. Also suspect you would bury it where you could keep any eye on it from the house. Just seems to make sense...
    You can never have too many pugs....