Thread: How do I find old foundations?

How do I find old foundations?

Hey guys I'm lookin all over the net for maps of my town..old old maps preferably. There's a lot of farm fields here now. Hoping I can find where a foundation has been plowed into a field. Can any of you point me in the right direction or to a web site I can look at some old maps on??
    Thanks
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Re: How do I find old foundations?

What state are you from?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

the midwest guys can probably help you more than I and I hope some reply. I usually look for any higher areas in fields (because obviously you want rain water to flow away from the house foundation and not into it ) . a clump of trees in a field is a good indicator to an abandon site , over the years the farmers didn't want to do any damage to machinery and avoided the area and the actual foundation over grew with trees and brush. sometimes just a really large overgrown tree or two by a road can indicate a dwelling was present at one time. once your in a field things to looks for are red brick pieces , glass , pottery or china chips , these are usually only present where a house once stood.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I live smack dab in the middle of Wisconsin. We're called flat landers. Nothing here but swamp and fields. Thank you for the input del. I have done a lot of hunting and spent my share of time in these woods here so I know what you mean about what to look for when out in the field. I was just trying to find some stuff on the net that may be around that I don't know about.

Treasureman I like to use GoogleEarth since these are images from a satellite you can sometimes see where old roads went through woods or even still see where the roads have left marks in the farmed fields, foundations and homesteads are also visible. Better yet, I'm in Illinois and have a website that has 1938 aerial photos of the state. I believe the project was funded by US Depatment of Agriculture 1937-1942 so you might contact WI Dept of Ag to see if they are available for your area. These photos are not high quality but I've used them to locate ghost towns that are no longer visible using GoogleEarth. Good luck!

I'll give that a shot..thankyou

This might not help in your area but I've found a few clues on the topos it holds for my area : http://www.historicaerials.com/

I have found that if you ask hunters they will gladly tell you. The find them when setting up their stands, etc... They get into places we wouldn't.
    You can never have too many pugs....

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Stout link=topic=13441.msg143277#msg143277 date=1371339323
    I have found that if you ask hunters they will gladly tell you. The find them when setting up their stands, etc... They get into places we wouldn't.
    Some of our best sites have come from hunters. But be prepared, they give general directions. If you are not good at hiking the woods, bring a gps lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Treasureman25 what city you near? I'm from th fox cities, near green bay. Here is a site I have tried. works pretty good. http://maps.sco.wisc.edu/WHAIFinder/#

In the spring, look for Easter Lillies. I know it sounds strange, but often the Easter Lilly plantings remain long after the house is gone.

I wish I'd thought of it, but I didn't. I just know it works.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.