Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raid on Essex ,War of 1812

Elite Member

Re: Saving some history

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=13443.msg142419#msg142419 date=1370305883
    I'm opening up the hole

And I've seen your holes.... .... rofl

So you got a 3030? How do you like it? In your opinion is it worth shelling out the big bucks for if you already have the E-trac?
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Candidate Member

Thanks for the History Dan.
    Chuck

V3i

your welcome Chuck , i was hoping to see you soon on one of these projects
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=13443.msg142453#msg142453 date=1370362363

And I've seen your holes.... .... rofl

So you got a 3030? How do you like it? In your opinion is it worth shelling out the big bucks for if you already have the E-trac?
    After that comment?

The E Trac is still a great silver machine and always will be. But I usually don't go back to a machine unless the new one is a dud. lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

we've been still at this project almost exclussively this past few months (George more so than I due to family and home issues) . Scouring the banks of the Connecticut River for signs of the British's landing in Essex and ensuing battle that took place. It has been very slow with an occasional musket ball being found here and there . The banks of the river have been used for farming and as homesites for hundereds of years , errosion and bank building maintanence has been going on about as long . Now multi-million dollar homes exist with manicured lawns and very picturesque views line the shores , no doubt much of that particular days history is lost. There has been some sparks of good news , Coinnut did find a small area that gave up multiple musket balls and the calibers looks right for the type of weapons the British used.There was also a ballast stone pile located just off shore in the river and parts will be excavated to varify if it was indeed one of the captured Privateer ships , the Anaconda or the Eagle .Ballast stone for those not fammiliar with what it is , its a type of stone used to weigh a ship down to sit right in the water as they can actually be to boyant and not float evenly when not loaded down with normal cargo.An expert came out an measured and sized up the pile and said it was consistant with about thirty ton vessle. When they excavate the stone they expect even after 200 years to see the ships wooden hull ribs and the chips and wood shavings still laying an the floor (because these ships were so hastely made) preserved under all that stone . Our goal is to find buttons (military or civiliian ) , any accroutments , weapon parts ect. from that time period in the researched areas of the battle sites . there were a few cannon batterys set up in various places along the Connecticut river but finding an areas that is not built up or disturbed is very challenging. we hope to continually add more pictures and info about this project as we go .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: Raid on Essex ,War of 1812

Very cool Dan. Hopefully something you can positively date to that period will turn up under your coils.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

One of my best button finds was from that era, hopefully something will surface soon thumbsup01

[attachimg=1]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Right now we would kill for one of those lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold