Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dig Wars....

Re: Dig Wars....

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Stout link=topic=13539.msg143144#msg143144 date=1371137759
    Wondering if anyone watched this show, and what their impressions were?
    Well other than just pure entertainment , i fail to see any benefit to the hobby this show makes....

I am more disappointed because it was said to be a different kind of detecting show but I didn't see it . There seemed to be a lot of emphasis on value of things or money worth of items like the other shows . Lets take our finds to the appraiser similar to another show , some cheap antics or pranks again like another show. I was even told by one of the crew members that this is real metal detecting sorry if you don't like real detecting , well i'm sorry but real metal detecting isn't finding a great , very valuable or even historical item every episode we go out . I understand you have to make the show entertaining and its sole purpose it to make money period. I can't answer for you all but i don't grab my detector an say to myself lets see how much money i can make today. These shows all hurt the hobby more then help and all of us will be scrutinized by the actions of these few , my greatest concern is just hoping the property owner hasn't seen any of these shows to have any preconceived thoughts about me or what i want to do on their property when i knock on his or her door to ask for permission. I think ChigagoRon is a great face an ambassador for the hobby and think he has done some really good positive shows and videos but believe he has lowered himself for this one and to me lost a bit of credibility for it , but everyone can make a mistake or two and i hope his next project he has more control over .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I think there are lot of people who are being overly critical of this show who would jump at the chance to be in it if the opportunity arose. JMO.
    You can never have too many pugs....

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Stout link=topic=13539.msg143855#msg143855 date=1372016907
    I think there are lot of people who are being overly critical of this show who would jump at the chance to be in it if the opportunity arose. JMO.
    Maybe , I think more might worry about the effects the show might have on their fellow hobbyists and refuse . its not always about the money there are still some of us with principals Mr. Stout .

I know the museum Coinnut and I have been voluteering for was approached by one of the producers of these type of shows last year to do a piece about the project we are on . we convinced them it would not be a good idea because of their antics and materialistic views and we felt it would probably do more harm than good to the hobby and or the project.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

its not always about the money there are still some of us with principals Mr. Stout....

Thanks, nice to know where I stand here.....

You can never have too many pugs....

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=13539.msg143856#msg143856 date=1372017521
    Maybe , I think more might worry about the effects the show might have on their fellow hobbyists and refuse . its not always about the money there are still some of us with principals Mr. Stout .

I know the museum Coinnut and I have been voluteering for was approached by one of the producers of these type of shows last year to do a piece about the project we are on . we convinced them it would not be a good idea because of their antics and materialistic views and we felt it would probably do more harm than good to the hobby and or the project.
    Well put, Dan | Every one of these metal detecting shows that I have seen give a crappy image of what a detectorist really is. Jumping in lakes and climbing up trees after a cool find?? Do people really do that? Ask anybody who knows me, I like to have fun, but not that kind of fun when im detecting. I act like a professional when im on someone elses property. I certainly don't do this for the money. I give most of the cool stuff I find away, either to the homeowners because I know the items mean more to them than to me, or I give the items to the local historic society to be put on display forever so everybody can see it.

I don't think there can ever be a realistic metal detecting show. If anyone would care to see a realistic 1 hour show, next time out to the old field I'll record myself walking back and forth for an hour to dig 1 old button. Not very entertaining, but to me it sure is fun and relaxing.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

I viewed it and have come to the conclusion that there is no good way to do that kind of show. I don't fault them for trying, but in the end the detectorists will probably have zero say in what is in the final mix. It has to be TV ready or it will not make money. And if it doesn't make money it will not renew. Sad but true. I can see the draw in being on TV, the same as being a YouTube star, but for me, I rather just go dig some relics. Just my honest opinion.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

no pulltabsteve make it really realistic and show you digging junk trash and lawn mowed pop cans for an hour and maybe comming home with some clad. that sounds like the most realistic metal detecting to me. when people ask me if ive found anything valuable i say yeah but im not getting rich off my machine anything soon
    1 mercury

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Stout link=topic=13539.msg143144#msg143144 date=1371137759
    Wondering if anyone watched this show, and what their impressions were?
    As if the resistance to getting permission to hunt a place weren't high enough already,they put this idiotic pap for the masses on? I do my best to show up clean/articulate/well dressed and hear,more often than notyou're not like on t.v.,are you? If ever there were a case for censorship,these shows are it! Just watched one and will never watch t.v. again! HH....