Thread: Old house hunt with Pokie73 & Marinedad nets my first Barber Half

Old house hunt with Pokie73 & Marinedad nets my first Barber Half

My E-Trac was in for repair until the end of April, so I did not get out much until middle of May. I invited Pokie73 (Dennis) and he brought a new friend that I met, MarineDad (Mark). I knew a person that had an old abandoned house over 100 years old. He gave me permission to hunt it. I had been there twice before and just found wheats, memorials, and clad dimes. I was ready to give up on it. Dennis had found a 1906 Indian cent the second time we went. The third time Dennis found an 1898 Indian cent, 1939 Mercury dime several wheats. Mark found a 1954 Roosevelt dime and several wheats and some memorials. I had a few wheats, a couple of memorial cents, and a few clad dimes. I then got a 10-46 signal about three foot from a tree in the front yard. The signal frustrated me because it did not lock on. It changed numbers and sometimes went back to 10-46. Dennis watched as I dug the hole, after 4 or 5 inches I found nothing. It was still in the hole. I dug a scoopful deeper and there was a dirt covered big circular object that I could see only the edges all around were silver. I looked at Dennis and then started rubbing the dirt off the obverse. I then could tell it was a Barber Half. I rubbed some more and the date appeared 1893. I turned it over and rubbed the dirt off the mint mark. It was an O mintmark. I yelled at Mark that I found a Barber. We all three found silver that day. I also found a ring with a working compass in it, along with a Mercedez Benz toy car.

The other items include a ,925 girls silver ring with a few stones. It was found in the outfield of a ballfield at a school. I have hunted 4 or 5 house yards and took a picture of the toy cars I found.

A week ago on Saturday our club Illinois and Iowa Treasure Hunters had a club hunt at Longview Park in Rock Island Illinois. My son and I enjoyed the hunt. I have a picture of the necklace (Letter A), earing of American . We came home with two minelab caps and two minelab tot bags based on tokens we found in the seeded hunt. We also found 4 Presidential Dollars in the seeded hunt. Oldest coin found was an 1892 Barber dime, along with a 1917 Buffalo, and several old wheat cents that were not in the seeded hunt. I am lining up more houses to hunt. Bigjohn

Update I took the 1893-0 Barber half to Illinois & Iowa Treasure Hunter Meeting and got First Place for find of the month most valuable coin. I then took the Barber half to Illinois Valley Research & Recovery Association and got a third place in find of the month for oldest coin. Bigjohn

[attachimg=1]
    [attachimg=2]
    [attachimg=3]
    [attachimg=4]
    [attachimg=5]
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: Old house hunt with Pokie73 & Marinedad nets my first Barber Half

Nice ring and barber!

thats a nice big barber! gotta love the way that dirt covered silver disc looks dont you? that moment when you realize its big silver..love it! congrats on the half and the ring and relics. nice job!

congrats on your finds and your luck at the club hunt glad you are back to making finds it was over 25 years ago we hunted together nice to both be back again hunting together both of us have gotten a lot older but our love of this hobby hasnt changed the finding of the half dollar was a welcome back reward for you dennis ps you should have posted a picture of the dime payden found that i gave up on that was a day a 11 year old taught me a lesson

WTG on the Barber half....
    Tesoro Silver Umax / Garrett Pro pointer
    Oldest silver / 1877cc Seated Quarter... Oldest coin 1866 Fatty IH

nice finds john, looking forward to doing it again sometime.

Great hunt ! Congrats on the Barber Half . |

Finding a 1/2 dollar is hard enough but to recover a nice Barber 1/2 is fantastic. on a great find
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice barber half! . I love the old matchbox cars too |
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Hook link=topic=13543.msg143205#msg143205 date=1371204593
    gotta love the way that dirt covered silver disc looks dont you? that moment when you realize its big silver..
    Yep. That is a sweet moment for sure |) Nice finds and of course the Barber halves are too far and few between.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Huge congrats on your first Barber Half! That's a wonderful find! Very cool to get a somewhat scarcer date from the 1800s too!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg