Thread: New guy from Albuquerque, NM

New guy from Albuquerque, NM

Hello all! My name is Kevin and not only new to the site but new to the sport. I am a c130 mechanic in the Air Force at Kirtland AFB. I wanted to find a new hobby that is cost effective, well after start up that is. I dont actually have a detector yet but thought this was a good place to start. Im gonna borrow a buddies MXT pro this weekend to get an idea.

Kevin

Re: New guy from Albuquerque, NM

Hello Kevin and welcome to the forum , are you a civilian just working on the base or a military man?? I hope those recent metal detecting shows on tv didn't convince you that we detectorists get rich from our hobby because the trueth is very few actually find a bit more than gas or extra battery money. lol lol It is however a very relaxing way to spend some time and maybe find some interesting coins and or relics. The mxt pro is a great machine and you might learn to love your friends detector lol lol. Again welcome and hope t hear from you soon .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Kevin, welcome from western MA. My niece is the Air Force recruiter on Long Island. Hope you find some great items with your friends MXT.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Welcome to the hobby and the forum from a guy who's spent many moons in a C130.

The MXT is a nice machine. Tip-of-the-morning: Keep the around 9, or lower, for your first few hunts.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=13570.msg143493#msg143493 date=1371531948
    Hello Kevin and welcome to the forum , are you a civilian just working on the base or a military man?? I hope those recent metal detecting shows on tv didn't convince you that we detectorists get rich from our hobby because the trueth is very few actually find a bit more than gas or extra battery money. lol lol It is however a very relaxing way to spend some time and maybe find some interesting coins and or relics. The mxt pro is a great machine and you might learn to love your friends detector lol lol. Again welcome and hope t hear from you soon .

Dan
    Thanks Dan! I am indeed a military man. I dont think I am looking to get rich but I wouldnt complain if I found a chest of gold haha. I am mostly trying to get out of the house more and give my self a reason to adventure through this beautiful land of enchantment.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=13570.msg143498#msg143498 date=1371550334
    Kevin, welcome from western MA. My niece is the Air Force recruiter on Long Island. Hope you find some great items with your friends MXT.
    Thank you! Recruiter duty sounds like a blast, I bet she loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber link=topic=13570.msg143501#msg143501 date=1371552630
    Welcome to the hobby and the forum from a guy who's spent many moons in a C130.

The MXT is a nice machine. Tip-of-the-morning: Keep the around 9, or lower, for your first few hunts.
    Thank you! They are still flying strong! I will take that advice, I will need as much as I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by kevumb link=topic=13570.msg143519#msg143519 date=1371579775
    Thanks Dan! I am indeed a military man. I dont think I am looking to get rich but I wouldnt complain if I found a chest of gold haha. I am mostly trying to get out of the house more and give my self a reason to adventure through this beautiful land of enchantment.
    Well Kevin , thank you very much for your service to our country sir. :: Yeah a chest full of gold would make me pretty content as well lol lol . theres lots of great old stories of stagecoach robberies , payroll thefts of the Railroads and old bank holdups out in the New Mexico and Arizona territories. Also early Spanish conquest up until the 1700's in those parts too, i wish you well on your discoveries there. Again welcome

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=13570.msg143532#msg143532 date=1371586330
    Well Kevin , thank you very much for your service to our country sir. :: Yeah a chest full of gold would make me pretty content as well lol lol . theres lots of great old stories of stagecoach robberies , payroll thefts of the Railroads and old bank holdups out in the New Mexico and Arizona territories. Also early Spanish conquest up until the 1700's in those parts too, i wish you well on your discoveries there. Again welcome

Dan
    I've yet to dig one gold coin lol never mind a chest. Maybe you have gold nuggets out there? Good luck with your new obsession, I mean hobby
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Welcome from Illinois!

Glad you joined our forum, Kevin!

I've been doing this for 30+ years and I'm still waiting for it to become cost effective. thumbsup01 lol

But it's fun to get outdoors and get some sun and exercise, and every target you dig is like a Christmas present, you just never know what it's going to be. And every once in a while you find a nice old silver coin or piece of jewelry that keeps you motivated. That's what it's all about!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Kevin , there's a place called Bullhead Park right on the border of the base---best practice range you'll ever find with that MXT. (except it can be alittle hard to hear occasionally with all the planes flying over )

Welcome aboard from western MA. You will love this hobby lol Once bitten, you will be dreaming of finding that chest of gold

Good luck
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=13570.msg143532#msg143532 date=1371586330

Dan
    Thank you! Yeah this a good spot to be in for this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=13570.msg143541#msg143541 date=1371587974
    I've yet to dig one gold coin lol never mind a chest. Maybe you have gold nuggets out there? Good luck with your new obsession, I mean hobby
    One can always hope! I know Silverton, CO is big on Gold, not sure if those veins come down that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=13570.msg143548#msg143548 date=1371589039
    Welcome from Illinois!

Glad you joined our forum, Kevin!

I've been doing this for 30+ years and I'm still waiting for it to become cost effective. thumbsup01 lol

But it's fun to get outdoors and get some sun and exercise, and every target you dig is like a Christmas present, you just never know what it's going to be. And every once in a while you find a nice old silver coin or piece of jewelry that keeps you motivated. That's what it's all about!
    Well I know the detectors are the biggest cost, I hope its all down hill after that! I guess there is always room for upgrading. Sun,exercise and Christmas! Cant go wrong. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nicklehead link=topic=13570.msg143559#msg143559 date=1371595001
    Kevin , there's a place called Bullhead Park right on the border of the base---best practice range you'll ever find with that MXT. (except it can be alittle hard to hear occasionally with all the planes flying over )
    Thanks! Ill definitely check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=13570.msg143583#msg143583 date=1371608407
    Welcome aboard from western MA. You will love this hobby lol Once bitten, you will be dreaming of finding that chest of gold

Good luck
    Thank you!

Hello and welcome from North Jersey.
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Welcome to the forum and the hobby from SE Wisconsin. You've come to the right place for the help to get you started, so do not be afraid to ask questions. :: Thank you for your service and good luck with the hobby.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by Boulder link=topic=13570.msg143781#msg143781 date=1371936938

Hello and welcome from North Jersey.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 link=topic=13570.msg143844#msg143844 date=1372006758
    Welcome to the forum and the hobby from SE Wisconsin. You've come to the right place for the help to get you started, so do not be afraid to ask questions. :: Thank you for your service and good luck with the hobby.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by kevumb link=topic=13570.msg143482#msg143482 date=1371521568
    Hello all! My name is Kevin and not only new to the site but new to the sport. I am a c130 mechanic in the Air Force at Kirtland AFB. I wanted to find a new hobby that is cost effective, well after start up that is. I dont actually have a detector yet but thought this was a good place to start. Im gonna borrow a buddies MXT pro this weekend to get an idea.

Kevin
    Hi Kevin, My best advice to a newbie would be to go to the nearest coin shop and get a set of worn out old(junk) silver coins/dime/quarter/half/silver dollar to test the machine out on to get used to the vdi numbers/sounds ect. The MXT'S a real good gold sniffer as I have one myself and it finds quite small pickers. Be aware you will get a lot of trash too but don't let it bother you,just dig it up and re-check the hole to find the goodies being hidden by the junque(masked) Good luck and H.H.!

Quote Originally Posted by swamp yankee link=topic=13570.msg143864#msg143864 date=1372029315
    Hi Kevin, My best advice to a newbie would be to go to the nearest coin shop and get a set of worn out old(junk) silver coins/dime/quarter/half/silver dollar to test the machine out on to get used to the vdi numbers/sounds ect. The MXT'S a real good gold sniffer as I have one myself and it finds quite small pickers. Be aware you will get a lot of trash too but don't let it bother you,just dig it up and re-check the hole to find the goodies being hidden by the junque(masked) Good luck and H.H.!
    This is the best advice. I have found so much junk! Here is a pic of the things I have dug so far. I will definitely pick up some silver and see how it reads.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I have been looking at getting a teknetics omega 8000, has anyone used one? They seem to be really good for the price.

Hello Kevin,
    You have come to the right place for both good advice and respectful conversation.
    I have belonged to a few forums in my day, pipe smoking, guns, motorcycles and this has been the best of the best in my book.
    I have learned so much just reading older posts and joining in on others.
    The people hear are considerate and understanding and you can sense the sincerity in there responses for both newbies and old MD hounds alike.
    Again Welcome and happy 4th of July, John. ::
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3