Thread: pinpointing problem

pinpointing problem

my freind big john has had a ongoing problem with hie e trac we went out this morning and compared units his seems to pinpoint off the back of his coil compared to mine which works fine has anybody seen this he just got another new coil so i would not think that you would get two bad coils in a row also i set up his machine like my own so it is not his setup that is causing the problem dennis any help is appeciated

Veteran Member

Re: pinpointing problem

That's the way mine works, more or less, except when it doesn't work that way. IMHO, pinpointing with the E-Trac simply doesn't work (at least mine doesn't, and I've tried two different coils -- I've also tested it extensively against another brand of machine with a large DD coil, and am fairly confident in saying that the E-Trac pinpointing on my machine is pretty random (but, given all the other benefits, its worth living with this annoyance)).

But, for the best odds of success, I've found digging near the back of the coil works best for me as well.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

I would have to concur with this especially if it happens to be an iffy signal and a rusty nail.
    My solution is to pinpont until the indicator zeros on the crosshairs and then pull it off an inch or so. It is sometimes difficult to reaquire the sweet spot but when it does , it's usually spot on. All bets are off if there is more than one piece of metal under the coil.

Quote Originally Posted by POKIE73 link=topic=13641.msg144147#msg144147 date=1372504819
    my freind big john has had a ongoing problem with hie e trac we went out this morning and compared units his seems to pinpoint off the back of his coil compared to mine which works fine has anybody seen this he just got another new coil so i would not think that you would get two bad coils in a row also i set up his machine like my own so it is not his setup that is causing the problem dennis any help is appeciated
    Why don't you guys switch coils for a little test?
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I have always used the pinpointing function (set to normal) on my E-Trac and it works like a charm. I push the pinpointing button and go over the target until the signal is very short, then turn 90 degrees and repeat that process. The target is always right in the center of the coil.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=13641.msg144216#msg144216 date=1372599713

I have always used the pinpointing function (set to normal) on my E-Trac and it works like a charm. I push the pinpointing button and go over the target until the signal is very short, then turn 90 degrees and repeat that process. The target is always right in the center of the coil.
    i had his detector set to my settings mine works fine his seemed to pinpoint off the back of his coil he just had a new one put on ? dennis

Elite Member

That's why I use a big shovel and dig big plugs.... lol

And another reason I like my X-5....it's a smaller area to dig rofl

But the results are worth it....
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

I really never noticed the problem. I X the target from 90 degrees and it usually pinpoints pretty well. But some coils may do that. I guess once you learn the spot it pinpoints on and put a dot of paint on your coil, it will always work for you. Thanks for the info on it.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member

Having spent alot of time in the software business (perhaps too much), it seems possible that different versions of the software work differently. That may explain my results being consistent with the OP, but not consistent with other posters. Who knows?

If its a software issue, the best test isn't another coil, but another machine from a different manufacturer. I've already done this test (as I've suggested in my first response), so all I can suggest is, that all who have the problem, and are interested in the issue, grab another machine with a DD coil and compare, and see if you can replicate my results.

In the meantime, I'll use the RobW method and bring a backhoe, cause the results are worth it. That's what you need, at least with my machine. And I've dug well over 1000 silvers with my E-Trac, so I'm not some rank newbie. The pinpointing function on my particular E-Trac machine simply does not work, for a reason unknown to me (tho I speculate that it is a software version issue). And I've done the science. Therefore, it is possible others are experiencing the same annoyance I am.

Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Why don't you guys get a software update for the ETrac from Minelab. I'm sure that since the ETrac has been around for more than 5 years, there must be an update, like White's gave out for the V3i.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense

It may not be possible on that model. Besides it is not that a big deal lol Once you see where it pinpoints you know where to dig. The E Trac was and still is a monster on deep silver. Well worth any minor inconveniences.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

My E-Trac pinpoints dead-on once the desired target is isolated, even with other metal targets around it. I'm surprised that others are having problems - I think this is the first I've heard about it. I'm on my second coil and I haven't noticed any differences.

What would a software update do (just curious)?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=13641.msg144458#msg144458 date=1372976006
    My E-Trac pinpoints dead-on once the desired target is isolated, even with other metal targets around it. I'm surprised that others are having problems - I think this is the first I've heard about it. I'm on my second coil and I haven't noticed any differences.

What would a software update do (just curious)?
    my e tarc is the same but my frends does have a issue like others have said once you know where it pinponts it would be easir the problem is john is new to the e trac and will take some time to get used to it sounds like it may be a problem he is going to have to learn to live with thanks everybody for the help dennis

I just saw this post but better late than never. All this time I thought I was doing something wrong. Being off center a bit has caused me to scratch up a few coins which is annoying to say the lease. Thanks for the information.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Quote Originally Posted by POKIE73 link=topic=13641.msg144483#msg144483 date=1372993355
    my e tarc is the same but my frends does have a issue like others have said once you know where it pinponts it would be easir the problem is john is new to the e trac and will take some time to get used to it sounds like it may be a problem he is going to have to learn to live with thanks everybody for the help dennis

I realize it is a minor problem if just in pinpoint mode, But for the coin paid for that machine it should be dead on.
    I wonder if it is effecting depth and response in search mode?
    Curious to hear what Minelab has to say, please post if you contact them with their response.
    Thanks, John.

Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3