Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colonial hunt with Del

Re: Colonial hunt with Del

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=13689.msg144640#msg144640 date=1373244797
    Tried to clean up my half dime, but it ain't gonna happen lol But I did get a better picture of it.

[attachimg=1]
    its in nice shape!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT link=topic=13689.msg144646#msg144646 date=1373247770
    its in nice shape!
    i agree , it was lost early before it got a chance to wear done those details. the foil trick wouldn't do the trick huh
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I wouldn't use it on a coin that nice but Barkeepers Friend and a lot of rubbing would likely take that tarnish off.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=13689.msg144664#msg144664 date=1373270019
    i agree , it was lost early before it got a chance to wear done those details. the foil trick wouldn't do the trick huh
    Nope. Didn't touch it. Tried it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by z118 link=topic=13689.msg144675#msg144675 date=1373282814
    I wouldn't use it on a coin that nice but Barkeepers Friend and a lot of rubbing would likely take that tarnish off.
    Nope that ain't gonna happen either lol I may try corn cob as soon as I can set up the unit. Almost every product out there contains some kind of micro abrasives. They all scratch the surface, the trick is to make the scratches smaller than the eye can easily detect. thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Wow, great finds guys! George, congrats on the capped bust half-dime, a sweet coin to find indeed!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

awsome hunt george and dell! a very nice looking spot. man i have to get some colonial hunting in. willy

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=13689.msg144537#msg144537 date=1373076198
    We headed out bright and early today for a hunt at a new location. Dan had envisioned a cellar hole while in a trance lol He was right thumbsup01 I think we got there around 6 AM and left around 2PM. Bugs, heat and not enough fluids made us end a bit early. I started off slow but finally scored some nice silvers and a copper. My first Capped half dime |) and I think my 3rd Trime 19 buttons round off the finds, not counting the scraps. It was nice to get out and hunt even though the walk back to the truck sucked Bet it was a real torture session,but you scored some real worthwhile goodies for the effort! The next time will make it all worth it! Best of luck and HH.....
    [attachimg=1]
    [attachimg=2]
    [attachimg=3]
    [attachimg=4]
    [attachimg=5]
    [attachimg=6]

Man! 8/ I almost missed this!
    Dang, you guys had a awesome hunt!
    George, you found two of my all time most wanted coins ..... in one hunt!! A trime, and a half dime... of any kind! lol
    And Dan, I cant wait to see that IH cleaned up. I agree that 8 7 area looks a little funky. :->
    Way to beat the heat too guys!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

For tarnish I have used this succesfully,

In a glass bowl put in strip of aluminum foil, place coin on top and use two tablespoons of Arm&Hammer washing soda, that is not baking soda but a product for enhancing detergent. You can find it where they sell detergent for laundry. Then completely cover the coin and soda with BOILING water, light shake bowl to dissolve all the soda. Let stand until bubbling stops. Often tarnish will come off in chunks, you can gently use a tooth pick to facilitate this. Repeat as neccesary.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Awesome hunt and finds guys ! |

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=13689.msg144537#msg144537 date=1373076198
    We headed out bright and early today for a hunt at a new location. Dan had envisioned a cellar hole while in a trance lol He was right thumbsup01 I think we got there around 6 AM and left around 2PM. Bugs, heat and not enough fluids made us end a bit early. I started off slow but finally scored some nice silvers and a copper. My first Capped half dime |) and I think my 3rd Trime 19 buttons round off the finds, not counting the scraps. It was nice to get out and hunt even though the walk back to the truck sucked Del,nice job grabbing the goods! 3 trimes?,too much! Cheer up,the long hike will keep the vultures away from the site for a while till you can clean it out!HH.....
    [attachimg=1]
    [attachimg=2]
    [attachimg=3]
    [attachimg=4]
    [attachimg=5]
    [attachimg=6]

Great Finds guys !! All the Coins look great. Congrat's on your 1st capped bust ! The Indian head is a beauty also especially for an early year . Is it a Bold N or a Shallow N ? It's hard to see from the picture. George, is that your oldest Copper ? How did it clean up ?
    Yea, I hear the bugs are bad this year. Haven't been out since the spring so it's probably just as well if the bugs are that bad. Ticks and Mosquitoes are my worst enemy, so I think I'll just wait til the weather changes. |
    Congrat's again. Take Care.
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Quote Originally Posted by Sal66 link=topic=13689.msg147143#msg147143 date=1376280467
    Great Finds guys !! All the Coins look great. Congrat's on your 1st capped bust ! The Indian head is a beauty also especially for an early year . Is it a Bold N or a Shallow N ? It's hard to see from the picture. George, is that your oldest Copper ? How did it clean up ?
    Yea, I hear the bugs are bad this year. Haven't been out since the spring so it's probably just as well if the bugs are that bad. Ticks and Mosquitoes are my worst enemy, so I think I'll just wait til the weather changes. |
    Congrat's again. Take Care.
    I told you guys I would clean it up some time around 2020 lol It's Ok but kinda rough. The oldest copper I have is probably pre 1700. I think I found a French coin a while back that was pretty old. Condition was not great on that one. I have quite a few Geo 1st, so early 1700's for sure. I'm not sure if Dan's Indian is shallow or bold strike.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold