Thread: key date

key date

went out for a short hunt with marinedad today found a merc dime thought that was going to be the find of the day i also got a few wheats got home cleaned the wheats up one looks like a 1914d the other wheats are from a previous hunt thanks for looking dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: key date

Hey, I've been staring at that 14D for 20 minutes now lol I looked up some images of the 14 D penny and the 4 looks very wide in all of them. I'm thinking yours is an 11 D with some crud that was in the die, that caused the last 1 to be blurred during striking. Or it was an attempt by someone long ago to alter one. But let's wait for the experts to weigh in on it. An easy way is to bring it to a coin dealer and let him have a look at it. I hope I'm wrong on it
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

nice job dennis, AGAIN! >:{ all I get are hot rocks and rusty nails, AGAIN. :white:

Hard to tell on that date, but I hope its a worn 14D!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Dennis, You did not get much but what a great find. Congrats. Marinedad dont't feel too bad becaus ethis happens when I hunt with Dennis also. Bigjohn

coinnut, you might be right but it could just be very worn also. I guess a looking at it with a loop would be a good idea. Anyway, great finds !!
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Dennis, you need to leave something for Marinedad to find. Nice silver and I hope that the wheat is a 14D. If you take it to a coin dealer keep us updated.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album