Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: asking for trouble

Re: asking for trouble

I run my life by picking my battles. That one is not worth it. Principles alone, when not combined with common sense, can get you in a lot of trouble. Remember, as an individual you are not the only ones on this planet. The Police have a job to do also. I saw no excessive force used. If the Police arrested him or made him come to the department, then there is an issue. But investigating a complaint based on someone's concerns is their job. That of course is just my opinion on it. I think Boulder understood it quite well.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Like I said --priorities.
    I'm all for helping the cops do their job but it must be done correctly---it wasn't from the info in the OP and that's a battle far more important than MDing. Detectorists have been far to milquetoast about their rights for so long that they now no longer have any.
    I'm all for Common Sense http://www.ushistory.org/paine/commonsense/
    I think it was Franklin who said He who gives up Liberty for security deserves neither
    I like Franklin on more than just half dollars and hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklehead link=topic=13793.msg145859#msg145859 date=1374811271
    Like I said --priorities.
    I'm all for helping the cops do their job but it must be done correctly---it wasn't from the info in the OP and that's a battle far more important than MDing.
    That's not what this thread was about, though, was it? The OP never mentioned that as an issue at all. The topic of this thread was nothing to do with the cops. The OP just asked for advice about whether or not to contact the homeowner again.

There is nothing in the OP's post to suggest such a negative response about law enforcement. Certainly nothing constituting excessive force.

Checking ID and warrants for arrest are done for everyone the police encounter. It's standard. Parking violations, speeding... even if you just have a flat tire on the side of the road. Everyone! It is the job of the police to investigate situations called in by citizens that may be problematic. The only way they have to do that is to follow up, and that is what they did, and according to the OP, they politely left after it was clear that it was a non-issue.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I totally agree the thread has been hijacked so I will say nothing more about it.
    I also agree that subjugatiing ones right to privacy without cause has become standard procedure by the citizens here for convenience.

Shoot , next thing you know the authorities will start thinking they can list , record and listen to all our phone calls

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=13793.msg145532#msg145532 date=1374390431
    I would argue that you should just let it go. You aren't going to gain anything here, and you aren't going to teach him anything.

I am a firm believer in that you never know what others are capable of. He has already proved to you that he is unstable. Move on....

thumbsup01 Well-stated Angie. It was extreme for him to call the police (they knew where to find you so I assume this dude knows you/where you live)Perhaps they've had a few break-ins lately... Good thing he lives a couple blocks away vs next door or yeah I'd try to make 'amends', not apologize but simply explain what detecting is all about (show him a couple nice old items). If I had to see him all the time passing by etc...
    I'm just the sort of person who likes to be on good terms with all people

I've had several experiences of people getting a bit 'belligerent' when I asked them to detect. A big #$@% NO from an elderly woman and another woman who owned apt building on our college campus, I called because the phone # was on a rental sign. She was silent for a long time after I asked her and when I said 'hello?' she said I'm just in total shock that you would even have the GALL to ask to DIG up my yard! Her disgusted tone of voice hurt my poor lil old feelings- I had to call my MD buddy to vent... lol

It takes a lot of NERVE to ask permission. We can't let the few NO's get in the way of the YES's
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

thanx for all the imput guys and gals.idrive buy his house everyday just honk my horn and give him a big wave with all five fingers not just one. I mean him no harm by any means everyone might like to think they got a million $ on there property. just was wondering y he thought I was a criminal for asking.
    best of luck and good digging