Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: asking for trouble

asking for trouble

Well here is a little story I have to tell about a bad guy(ME).
    I woke up about 8 am this morning and went digging at a house that I had permission to dig at ..... about 1 pm I drove home, two blocks from my house I saw a guy that owns this apartment house. I hopped out of my car and asked him if he would mind if I detected on his property , he said he would mind very rudely, I might add. So I said thank you sir that's why I always ask. About 30 minutes later city cops were knocking on my door. With two cruisers in front of my home I was asked to see my ID and to step onto my porch and speak to them. Apparently this man had called the cops and felt that I was casing his slum apartments and he was concerned. I explained that I metal detected for a hobby and that was an older property and thought since I seen him out in his yard that I would ask and see if I could detect there. So after they checked my name and found I had no warrants for my arrest they thanked me and left. Now my question is should I send him an apology note for his distress over my presence or not LOL. Please advise.

Re: asking for trouble

I wouldn't. His attitude says it all. lol I think he would care less about your note. But do what you feel is right for you. Maybe his places have been broken into a lot and he just wanted to get your name on record. I don't know, do you look like a crook? rofl
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

approach the guy again and say hello again , that was a dirty trick you did . when you called the cops about me asking for permissin to metal detect your property . well they yanked me out of my house frisked me in cuffs , took me downtown , gave me a very intimate and unwanted body search and put me in a cell. then they realized i was a good law abiding citizen with no prior records or warrants , so they let me go thanks for the inconvienent day neighbor now that you and the police know i'm not a criminal casing the place out how about you letting me detect your yard and we'll call it even

what do you have to lose , right ?? ok ya, maybe have a number to a good lawyer just in case . lol lol
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Good grief! Now I think I've heard it all.....

Apologize? What for? You have nothing to apologize for. You were polite and asked his permission and responded respectfully despite his rude response. If he was distressed by your question then he's got some serious issues. You are the one who should be distressed by what happened, not him. In my opinion you owe him nothing.

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I am 5'7, no tats, balding and couldn't scare anyone. Except if they were afraid of a slight tummy and balding.

Quote Originally Posted by pocketsofdirt link=topic=13793.msg145519#msg145519 date=1374364421
    I am 5'7, no tats, balding and couldn't scare anyone. Except if they were afraid of a slight tummy and balding.
    So you are casing the place lol I think he's just a jerk and took out his frustrations on you. It would be nice to get 20 different people to ask him the same question all in a row. That way the cops can yell at him for wasting their time. Too bad you don't have a lawyer friend that could go down there and ask him some questions about why he called the cops on you. I bet he would back peddle like crazy
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

LOL I guess you can say I am always casing places. As a digger I can't look at any piece of property without thinking there is a buried treasure there. So yes I guess I was. I think it would be awesome to have a digger a day go by and ask! rofl

Sounds like the guy was a real __hole. I'd go back to his place and sit in front of it in my car for a while.

You must have been in Swansey NH.... ... One time I tries to help an old man with his flat and he dropped more f bombs then I ever used in the army.... If public hunting wernt available here I don't think there would be much detecting. People in the older towns with prospective properties are not to agreeable to Mders

Well Epi-hunter had it half right-you have nothing to apologize for but no way on your own propeprty should you have submitted to demands for ID without some sort of probable cause demonstrated by the cops. First thing you should have done is take their badge numbers call their Captain and verify there was reason for them to be there. The acceptance in this country of a simple citizen complaint to morph imto demanding your papers is a gleaming example of how we've lost our rights here.

Go beat up the apartment owner to square things up

I would argue that you should just let it go. You aren't going to gain anything here, and you aren't going to teach him anything.

I am a firm believer in that you never know what others are capable of. He has already proved to you that he is unstable. Move on....
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=13793.msg145532#msg145532 date=1374390431
    I would argue that you should just let it go. You aren't going to gain anything here, and you aren't going to teach him anything.

I am a firm believer in that you never know what others are capable of. He has already proved to you that he is unstable. Move on....
    Very wise advice.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Personally I would just walk away from the situation because with his attitude and actions, I doubt he would apologize but you never know. Secondly, he might cause more problems for you. On his side I feel he owes you an apology but sometimes it doesn't happen unfortunately.
    If it really bothers though and it seems it does or you wouldn't of posted it, I might send him a letter instead just explaining the trouble he caused you in a nice way and maybe he might apologize however. If you get all fowl mouthed with him it might just make things more difficult. Don't step down to his level. No one can take back what happened but sometimes an apology is the best someone can do. I hope this helps .
    Sal
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Quote Originally Posted by nicklehead link=topic=13793.msg145529#msg145529 date=1374371831
    Well Epi-hunter had it half right-you have nothing to apologize for but no way on your own propeprty should you have submitted to demands for ID without some sort of probable cause demonstrated by the cops. First thing you should have done is take their badge numbers call their Captain and verify there was reason for them to be there. The acceptance in this country of a simple citizen complaint to morph imto demanding your papers is a gleaming example of how we've lost our rights here.
    I agree it's about time people stand up for themselves. Most people just want to turn tail and run.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=13793.msg145532#msg145532 date=1374390431

I must say I agree with just letting it go.
    You don't want to alienate the cops for doing there job, and the property owner could charge you with harassment by further contact as he has demonstrated he don't want you around.
    Just my pennies worth, John. :white:
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

Amen John !!

Quote Originally Posted by Boulder link=topic=13793.msg145626#msg145626 date=1374554471

I must say I agree with just letting it go.
    You don't want to alienate the cops for doing there job, and the property owner could charge you with harassment by further contact as he has demonstrated he don't want you around.
    Just my pennies worth, John. :white:
    Their job is not to harass one citizen at the behest of another and demand one to show their papers on their own private property with an excessive show of force which is exactly what it sounds like from the OP. The cops are doing a fine job of alienating themselves by this type of action , which is not investigative in nature but a simple excercise in the reinforcement of total submission to authority. Do not submit to having your right to privacy violated , instead make them cook their own goose without probable cause just to prove to you that they can , then the advantage is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklehead link=topic=13793.msg145682#msg145682 date=1374633030
    Their job is not to harass one citizen at the behest of another and demand one to show their papers on their own private property with an excessive show of force which is exactly what it sounds like from the OP. The cops are doing a fine job of alienating themselves by this type of action , which is not investigative in nature but a simple excercise in the reinforcement of total submission to authority. Do not submit to having your right to privacy violated , instead make them cook their own goose without probable cause just to prove to you that they can , then the advantage is yours.

I understand the point you are trying to make but in our hobby we are all ambassadors for MD'ing and our actions and words effect all of us.
    We as a whole can do 100 things right but it takes only one rash decision/conversation that we will be remembered and judged by.
    Please understand it's just my opinion based on the few facts presented, and I feel that he handled himself with pride and respect and I applaud him for caring enough for his hobby to be concerned. >
    John...
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

Boulder , you may see the point but from your post I see little indication you understand it.
    Mding is a hobby.
    Priorities