Thread: Don't overlook those common Coins

Don't overlook those common Coins

Hey everyone ! There's one thing I want to talk about that I haven't heard anyone mention before and that's looking over every coin you find, whether it's a Colonial or a coin from the 1800's and 1900's with a good Loop.
    In the past few months, since I haven't been out Detecting, I decided to take a closer look at my coin collection and what I found was amazing !! On three of my Silver Quarters ( 1963D's), I found they were actually Re-punched Mintmark Errors. There in Mint State and according to my CherryPicker's Guide Book and Ebay, their worth as much as 3 times their normal value. So, instead of being $15 coins there worth up to $45.
    I also found several Die Cracks as well. Die Cracks are more common than RPM's but they do increase the value.
    Another great Error I found was on a 1936 Wheatie is a Hub Break on the letter R in liberty. I found out this is a common error, so check any that you might have as well as the Quarters. I also found Hub Breaks on a 1868 Shield Nickel I had and that year is also known for this kind of error. Here are some of the coins. Can you spot the Errors ?
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Re: Don't overlook those common Coins

Thanks for the tips as I'm sure many of us have overlooked most imperfections as negative in our finds.
    In addition, I know I have filled a few pocket change jars over the years that I started doing back in the 70's that I have never sorted through myself.
    One day I would like to go through them but think I will just leave them to the next generation to explore and hopefully they will not just pour them into a change machine.
    John... :->
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

Re: Don't overlook those common Coins

Thanks boulder for the reply.
    The Cherrypickers' Guide to rare die varieties of United States Coins is a great book. Actually there are two books. One ( volume 1) covers Pennies and Nickels and Volume 2 which is the one I have covers from dimes to Dollar coins plus Classic Commemoratives .
    The reason there are two Volumes is because there is so many Varieties and Errors just in the Penny and Nickel Book. Things that some people wouldn't even think of. For example : As you notice on Pennies, some years the A and M in America vary in terms of spacing. Some years their close together and other years their spaced apart. Well, on some years they made a mistake and used the wrong Reverses. I've seen some of these Varieties on Auction sites and they bring in a big premium to what some might think is an ordinary Penny.
    1999 Wide A M : Look at the years 1998, 1999 and 2000, 1999 being far the rarest.

The reason I brought this up is because not everyone lives in areas where Old Coins may be and often only find Coins in the 1900's . So, I figured to bring up this subject so instead of just saying I just found some newer pennies and Clad coins it gives hope that within those common coins you still might have something valuable.
    Thanks for reading and Good Luck Detecting.

Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now