Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What say you Kellyco

What say you Kellyco

so today i did a search of Big Boys Hobbies.com and to my surprise the first hit on the page took me to a Kellyco detectors ad page . not our sponsor Bart and Big Boys Hobbies store page , evidently Kellyco has acquired this particular domain name (which I guess is totally legal by the way) but then they took the liberty to redirect that name Big Boys Hobbies to their very own kellyco website. This however in my opinion is a very unethical business practice and says volumes about this company's character to deceptively use a competitor's name just to sell machines.

am I the only who feels this way?? I'd be interested in hearing from a the membership about this subject . or even Kellyco themselves , what say you?

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: What say you Kellyco

I personally think it's highly unethical. Not to mention downright illegal. As you said, actions speak louder than words for such things.

And just to clarify... if you type www dot bigboyshobbies dot com into the address bar of your browser, you are routed directly to the Kellyco site.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

They lost all my business. I remember the 80's when they were a nice place to get information and gave good deals on good products. I guess those days are gone...and so is my business to them.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=13930.msg146808#msg146808 date=1375923716
    I personally think it's highly unethical. Not to mention downright illegal. As you said, actions speak louder than words for such things.

And just to clarify... if you type www dot bigboyshobbies dot com into the address bar of your browser, you are routed directly to the Kellyco site.
    I typed it in and was zipped off to Kellyco so fast it made my head spin .That is truly disgusting , kind of like some of the BS reality shows which have been popping up as of late . Shame on Kellyco ! Shame on all those who would pimp out this great hobby one way or another . Greed , greed and more greed .

Unbelievable; they've lost my business.

I'm soooo glad I bought all my detectors from Bart. |
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

It has been a while since I purchased anything from them. With this type of unethical business practice they will never see another dollar from me.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. Kind of slimy if you ask me. Anyways I still bought from Bart!

We just had a representitive from Kellyco join the forum (Emily) and I'm curious
    if she'll have anything official to add here .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

This came up in another forum and I researched it then.

The domain &quotigboyhobbies.com originally belonged to a business that sold customized parts for automobiles (another hobby for big boys). For one reason or another, the domain in question went up for sale a few years back and Kellyco bought it. Why Bart didn't buy when he had the opportunity is a question which only he can answer.

I should add, the domain &quotigboyhobbies.com is back for sale. Apparently Kellyco caught too much heat, or they decided it wasn't worth the investment. So Bart, if you are reading this, opportunity has knocked twice. Here is your second chance.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy link=topic=13930.msg146922#msg146922 date=1376013734
    Apparently Kellyco caught too much heat, or they decided it wasn't worth the investment.
    Or they decided they didn't want a lawsuit for doing something blatantly illegal.

To me the issue isn't whether or not Bart wants the domain, but that it was being redirected in the manner that it was. And if they regret it, for whatever reason, why don't they take the redirect down?

I can only imagine what they want in terms of $$$ for the domain...
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

I went to there website sight to research some products, and shortly thereafter found there banners ad's on my email page and fleabay page as cookie sourced advertisements.
    I try to support local small businesses, but some times online sources are the only way to get items that are in stock in a timely manner.
    Sad but true, John. \:[
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=13930.msg146923#msg146923 date=1376014022
    Or they decided they didn't want a lawsuit for doing something blatantly illegal.

To me the issue isn't whether or not Bart wants the domain, but that it was being redirected in the manner that it was. And if they regret it, for whatever reason, why don't they take the redirect down?

I can only imagine what they want in terms of $$$ for the domain...
    I am not condoning it, but what is the illegal part? Specifically, what laws are being broken?

Bigboyhobbies.com existed before Bart created Bigboyhobbies.net . The then current holder of the .com domain put it up for public sale, as is their right. Kellyco bought it legally. Bigboyhobbies is not trademarked and it's probably too descriptive to be trademarkable. Ethics aside, no laws appear to have been broken.

Now, if you want to talk ethics, lets discuss the sales of Long Range Locators, $300 plumb bobs and cheaply built Chinese crap detectors sold under private labels. >
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy link=topic=13930.msg146937#msg146937 date=1376019467
    I am not condoning it, but what is the illegal part? Specifically, what laws are being broken?

Bigboyhobbies.com existed before Bart created Bigboyhobbies.net . The then current holder of the .com domain put it up for public sale, as is their right. Kellyco bought it legally. Bigboyhobbies is not trademarked and it's probably too descriptive to be trademarkable. Ethics aside, no laws appear to have been broken.

Now, if you want to talk ethics, lets discuss the sales of Long Range Locators, $300 plumb bobs and cheaply built Chinese crap detectors sold under private labels. >
    Of course they bought the domain legally. Anyone can buy any domain that's for sale. The issue is what they did with it. The issue is that they attempted to create confusion in the eyes of the public by redirecting that domain to their site. That has been prosecuted successfully in the US. It's called passing off. This link describes it succinctly.

They would have to prove that they did not deliberately intend to confuse the public and didn't do this on purpose. We all know they did.

Even worse, though, is that it's just lower than low to do something like that.

I stick up for Bart because he has been a fantastic sponsor and I would recommend him to anyone. He treats the members here the way they should be treated. His banner would not be up here otherwise. I have never heard a negative thing said - only many positives.

We have removed one sponsor who will never be here again again because of dozens of complaints. I'm sure you know who I mean. Whatever banner sponsor goes up on this site is who I do business with myself. Or forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=13930.msg146939#msg146939 date=1376021035
    Of course they bought the domain legally. Anyone can buy any domain that's for sale. The issue is what they did with it. The issue is that they attempted to create confusion in the eyes of the public by redirecting that domain to their site. That has been prosecuted successfully in the US. It's called passing off. This link describes it succinctly.

They would have to prove that they did not deliberately intend to confuse the public and didn't do this on purpose. We all know they did.
    I don't think passing off applies in this case. The web site that comes up has the Kellyco logo prominently displayed at the top of each page and Kellyco appears all over the place. One would have to be pretty out of it to not realize that it is not Bart's site.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=13930.msg146939#msg146939 date=1376021035
    Even worse, though, is that it's just lower than low to do something like that.

I stick up for Bart because he has been a fantastic sponsor and I would recommend him to anyone. He treats the members here the way they should be treated. His banner would not be up here otherwise. I have never heard a negative thing said - only many positives.

We have removed one sponsor who will never be here again again because of dozens of complaints. I'm sure you know who I mean. Whatever banner sponsor goes up on this site is who I do business with myself. Or forget it.
    Yes, we also took that other sponsor down and refunded his sponsorship money.

I've been working with Bart, feeding information to ML about those persons I PM'ed you about.
    I think we got another one today. Will give you the info as soon as I've verified it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy link=topic=13930.msg146940#msg146940 date=1376022240
    I don't think passing off applies in this case. The web site that comes up has the Kellyco logo prominently displayed at the top of each page and Kellyco appears all over the place. One would have to be pretty out of it to not realize that it is not Bart's site.
    From everything I've read I don't agree, but I think we can all agree that it's pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy
    Yes, we also took that other sponsor down and refunded his sponsorship money.
    We did the same. I did see that thread and Vlad's post on the other forum to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy
    I've been working with Bart, feeding information to ML about those persons I PM'ed you about.
    I think we got another one today. Will give you the info as soon as I've verified it.
    Thanks so much for that info Rudy. I appreciate the camaraderie more than you know. As I told you, we have had at least one of those people register here.

Plus I really miss sparring with you. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=13930.msg146941#msg146941 date=1376023456
    Thanks so much for that info Rudy. I appreciate the camaraderie more than you know. As I told you, we have had at least one of those people register here.
    As my friend Ben once said, we must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=13930.msg146941#msg146941 date=1376023456
    Plus I really miss sparring with you. lol
    Sparr away. Give it your best shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy link=topic=13930.msg146957#msg146957 date=1376058891
    Sparr away. Give it your best shot.
    :-> :-> Who is collecting the bets? :->
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=13930.msg146977#msg146977 date=1376093015
    :-> :-> Who is collecting the bets? :->
    I'll let Angie decide that.

lol verreaction: so now the pressure is on.... I have to sparr on command :hysterical:

George, you had better be betting on my side. lol