Thread: Marshy Site Yields Silver

Marshy Site Yields Silver

Today in the late afternoon I was able to detect for a couple of hours. I headed to a local park and worked a somewhat marshy area. Digging for targets was a bit of a pain due to the water and mud, but the effort paid off. I was able to pick up two silver coins, a 1964 Washington quarter, and a 1896 Barber quarter. I also managed a large cent, dated 1851, but it is in poor shape as the following photo shows. It's still a neat find though.

When I first saw the year I began to hope the Barber quarter would have an S mintmark, but I was hoping for too much.

This is the marshy area I was working. I took the photo right after digging up the Barber quarter.

The two silver coins of the day.

There were also a few wheat cents and a 10k gold filled ring.

Re: Marshy Site Yields Silver

ok angel i think it's time to retire.leave some coins for future generations will ya?
    nice day out man!

I'm starting to believe you can find silver anywhere .
    The S would of been sweet
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

The Barber makes up for the large cent Them parks kill 'em. That looks like some rough area to hunt, but that ground water probably helped with depth some. At least both silvers were big ones. Congrats on the silver and on the 1851 large cent!

Nice finds! I'd be afraid when that green coating comes off the large cents though. The Barber looks like a good canidate for your silver cleaning method.Give us an update of pics when the coins are cleaned up, ok?
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    ok angel i think it's time to retire.leave some coins for future generations will ya?
    nice day out man! thumbsup01
    I'm addicted, Dave. I need help!

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    The Barber makes up for the large cent Them parks kill 'em. That looks like some rough area to hunt, but that ground water probably helped with depth some. At least both silvers were big ones. Congrats on the silver and on the 1851 large cent!
    Yeah, the coppers found at the parks tend not to hold out well. The Barber did make up for it though. As you likely guessed, targets at that marshy site tend to sink deep. The coins were between 8 1/2 and 9 1/2 inches but they did sound off quite strongly. It was messy digging them up though.

Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    Nice finds! I'd be afraid when that green coating comes off the large cents though. The Barber looks like a good canidate for your silver cleaning method.Give us an update of pics when the coins are cleaned up, ok?
    I won't be removing the green coating, just the left over soil. I may remove the sulfide from the Barber before adding it to my Dansco coin album.

Looks like this last batch of coins made you work for them!! Nice selection of coins and dates in there!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    Looks like this last batch of coins made you work for them!! Nice selection of coins and dates in there!
    Joggers and park visitors were giving me strange looks as I walked back to my car. I was a mess, and it didn't help that my jeans were faded from so much washing. The dirt simply stood out.

Well it wasn't marshy till Angel started hunting there. He is taking all the coins that are used for fill and now the ground is settling. Well done my friend. The large cent is very cool but I fear saving it might not be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    Joggers and park visitors were giving me strange looks as I walked back to my car. I was a mess, and it didn't help that my jeans were faded from so much washing. The dirt simply stood out.
    Poor homeless guy has to dig the park for pennies Next time have a cup with you...who knows it may pay off big

Poor homeless guy has to dig the park for pennies Next time have a cup with you...who knows it may pay off big

That didn't even cross my mind! Had I been walking along with a cup in my hand I might have made some good money.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    rofl rofl

That didn't even cross my mind! Had I been walking along with a cup in my hand I might have made some good money.
    How do you think I get all that clad from the beach out here......??!?

I've had several people offer me change... Yesterday a 10 yr old girl was sitting up in a tree watching me MD and finally asked what I was looking for. I said old coins and jewelry. She jumped out of the tree and dug into her pocket and offered her change... she said this is all I have. I told her that it was such a sweet gesture, but I wasn't poor and homeless. I tossed her quarter on the ground and showed her how it worked, explained it's a hobby and she still wanted me to have the change. I refused and pointed to my car, told her I have a nice home too and that my detector cost nearly $1000. She looked at me so sad, not believing me and STILL wanted me to have the change!

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    I've had several people offer me change... Yesterday a 10 yr old girl was sitting up in a tree watching me MD and finally asked what I was looking for. I said old coins and jewelry. She jumped out of the tree and dug into her pocket and offered her change... she said this is all I have. I told her that it was such a sweet gesture, but I wasn't poor and homeless. I tossed her quarter on the ground and showed her how it worked, explained it's a hobby and she still wanted me to have the change. I refused and pointed to my car, told her I have a nice home too and that my detector cost nearly $1000. She looked at me so sad, not believing me and STILL wanted me to have the change!
    It's pretty sad Tana that you have to point to someone else's car, talk about someone else's home and borrow a $1000.00 machine So how much change do you need? What a nice kid. She thinks you are in denial Funny how kids think

Nice finds Angel..... and Tana, did you eventually take the change?? RickO

Wow, that large cent is definitely chewed up

You have really found a lot of barber quarters this year. Still waiting for my first

Congrats on the nice finds!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Wow, that large cent is definitely chewed up

You have really found a lot of barber quarters this year. Still waiting for my first

Congrats on the nice finds!
    Yeah, for the most part the large cents found at most parks in my area do not hold up very well. They still get the heart racing though.