Thread: SUNDAY CELLAR HOLE HUNT WITH RAY & TODD*1856 LC

SUNDAY CELLAR HOLE HUNT WITH RAY & TODD*1856 LC

Ray(KRAY) was up from Virginia.Dan shot me a message that he wasnt going to be around and wondering if Ray could hook up with us for some cellar holes.we picked an area that had 5 sites figuring this would give us plenty of places to swing & hopefully give Ray a chance to nab some colonial stuff.
    one old dirt rd had a cellar hole that todd & myself found last month but only hunted like 2 hrs because we couldnt take the black gnat swarms around our heads.we knew there was a mill site further down but never got to walk down to see it.
    so,that's where we started our hunt today at the mill site.not many targets at all...i was walkinghigher up from the mill and see a cellar hole not on the map I yelled to the guys CELLAR HOLE UP HERE!
    2 hrs later and 2 buttons to show for the effort.place was pounded good!
    so back to the cellar hole we go.ray got a IH,todd got a crotal bell,i got a mangled colonial shoe buckle frame & a 6 1/2 to 7 foot long 2 man saw blade <} thats a 1st for me and hell yeah i took it home!
    couple more sites and Todd & Ray got a few colonial buttons and last site gave up the 1856 braided hair LC & a what I think is a womans hat pin end?
    none of us went home with a pouchful of colonial goodies like i was hopin,but we gave it our best shot
    Attached Images Attached Images                                     
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Re: SUNDAY CELLAR HOLE HUNT WITH RAY & TODD*1856 LC

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT link=topic=14028.msg147686#msg147686 date=1376873210
    Ray(KRAY) was up from Virginia.Dan shot me a message that he wasnt going to be around and wondering if Ray could hook up with us for some cellar holes.we picked an area that had 5 sites figuring this would give us plenty of places to swing & hopefully give Ray a chance to nab some colonial stuff.
    one old dirt rd had a cellar hole that todd & myself found last month but only hunted like 2 hrs because we couldnt take the black gnat swarms around our heads.we knew there was a mill site further down but never got to walk down to see it.
    so,that's where we started our hunt today at the mill site.not many targets at all...i was walkinghigher up from the mill and see a cellar hole not on the map I yelled to the guys CELLAR HOLE UP HERE!
    2 hrs later and 2 buttons to show for the effort.place was pounded good!
    so back to the cellar hole we go.ray got a IH,todd got a crotal bell,i got a mangled colonial shoe buckle frame & a 6 1/2 to 7 foot long 2 man saw blade <} thats a 1st for me and hell yeah i took it home!
    couple more sites and Todd & Ray got a few colonial buttons and last site gave up the 1856 braided hair LC & a what I think is a womans hat pin end?
    none of us went home with a pouchful of colonial goodies like i was hopin,but we gave it our best shot
    Congrats on the great finds after what had to be a serious hike,love the 2 man bucksaw blade! I use 100% DEET/a few drops on an old facecloth pinned to the back of my hat and NO bugs of any kind come near me!It keeps it off your skin too so I'm not a test animal for the manufacturer. Used a military headnet for blackflies back east when trout fishing as they drink the repellant.HH.....

Elite Member

.s a big saw blade...I was wondering if you carried that out...and then I saw the later pic...and yep you did......that had to have been a PITA to carry
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Man that is dedication to tote that sawblade out of there Bunch of goodies there outstanding hunt!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Such a shame that 1st beautiful site gave up nothing Was a long day and we gave it our best but at least we didn't get skunked. I was praying that Ray would get a copper but that's how it goes. I will have to get around to cleaning my finds later. Cya next hunt
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Dave and Todd: thanks for a great time. No, I didn't really get much, a couple of buttons and an 1899 Indian, but being able to hang out with and watch a couple of pros was priceless. For those of you that may think these guys have it easy: you couldn't be more wrong! They work their tails off. Yesterday was a ton of walking, bush whacking, mosquitoes, poison ivy,etc. They also spent hours trying to find/research a decent, convenient location for me. These guys go non stop, and any good finds are the result/rewards of hard work. Thanks again guys; any time you're in my area, please feel welcome to look me up.

Some cool finds ! Seeing lots of those chicken mushrooms lately....pretty decent eating. In another month it will be hen of the woods mushroom season.....VERY good eating thumbsup01
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by kray link=topic=14028.msg147712#msg147712 date=1376930525
    Dave and Todd: thanks for a great time. No, I didn't really get much, a couple of buttons and an 1899 Indian, but being able to hang out with and watch a couple of pros was priceless. For those of you that may think these guys have it easy: you couldn't be more wrong! They work their tails off. Yesterday was a ton of walking, bush whacking, mosquitoes, poison ivy,etc. They also spent hours trying to find/research a decent, convenient location for me. These guys go non stop, and any good finds are the result/rewards of hard work. Thanks again guys; any time you're in my area, please feel welcome to look me up.
    thanks Ray! your a die hard trooper yourself! thumbsup01 wish the day ended better with more goods but,that's the reality of this hobby I guess :-\. hopefully next time will be better .hope you have a safe trip back
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Nice LC ...... any chance of turning that saw blade into a root cutter
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

That saw blade looks to be in great condition! I'm impressed it held up that long. I'm hoping to maybe turn some nice logging relics here in Southern Oregon, if we ever get enough rain for the soil to let loose...

Garrett Ace 350

"Tradition is the illusion of permanance." -Woody Allen

great pictures Dave | Ray i'm glad you got to get out with these guys (sorry i couldn't make it out with you guys) . Dave for someone who use to give his iron relics away i bet you got quite a collection going on now

Dave congrats on the copper and lady's stone studded hat pin end
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album