Thread: multi-purpose tool/tomahawk style

multi-purpose tool/tomahawk style

I dug this 12 deep where settlement of Lexington occurred mid-1770's... same spot I found 1838o seated dime! Perhaps a blacksmith tool or for slicing & gutting animals (note the HOOK at the tip of handle). It's pretty heavy\durable- the hook is strong, pic doesn't do it justice... lol I am so curious what it is/makes me think of settlers learning from local N. Americans, that it prob dates back to colonial times... but a little small for weapon?
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Elite Member

Re: multi-purpose tool/tomahawk style

I don't know what it is...it does look like some sort of hatchet....but it looks REALLY old...and really COOL ...good find!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

That is such a cool relic! I would get back to that area maybe you can find more clues

Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=14040.msg147841#msg147841 date=1377095496
    I don't know what it is...it does look like some sort of hatchet....but it looks REALLY old...and really COOL ...good find!
    Thanks Rob! I love your enthusiasm | I am finally getting back to me and my passion now that my boys are in school

It was a looooong summer lol But fun too. Logan just started Kindergarten & Bryce 2nd grade and... I got a job! I'm now Assistant Naturalist at a historical park, teaching kids K-5, my favorite ages! So anyway, I have a few whole days to hunt before starting my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy link=topic=14040.msg147843#msg147843 date=1377095620
    That is such a cool relic! I would get back to that area maybe you can find more clues

Okay I will Todd- right now! lol

Thanks, I'm so excited about this find! The owner of the property is writing a book on the history of the church I try not to disclose my sites for all those lurkers out there but actually I've been hunting this site for several yrs now and have found:

1838o seated dime
    1865 2 center
    1869 shield nickel
    1888 & 1896 IH
    did I say 1838o seated dime? lol
    several early mercs
    really neat old parking token
    nice large horse rosette
    lots of silver jewelry, buckles, bullets, buttons...

So yesterday I visited with the pastor and donated a display case with almost ALL of the items above! | It felt really good to give esp since his next sermon is going to be about the book he's writing (history of church) and share these items with congregation. I plan to be there, can't wait to read his book!

Anyway, I hope this item ties into history- know what it is/approx. age etc...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Don't quote me on this but I'm thinking it might be a hand-forged tobacco axe.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac link=topic=14040.msg147869#msg147869 date=1377129798
    Don't quote me on this but I'm thinking it might be a hand-forged tobacco axe.
    bingo great id Skamaniac

definately a old hand forged tobacco harvesting axe , it could be colonial Tana
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=14040.msg147873#msg147873 date=1377130196
    bingo great id Skamaniac

definately a old hand forged tobacco harvesting axe , it could be colonial Tana
    How do you think the hook was used? Thanks guys! Did you see the Diggers in Ky? They came here to Lexington & filmed @ Ky Horsepark, Henry Clay Estate & Camp Nelson | I was hoping to invite them over for lunch and see my display cases lol

Kim McBride, archeologist here @ U.K. was on the show (also the Hatfield/McCoy episode) I'm planning to show her the items I donated to the church for more info for his book... she did extensive research on Native Am settlement where I found those revolutionary war soldier cufflinks (haven't found them online btw)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=14040.msg147885#msg147885 date=1377138045
    How do you think the hook was used? Thanks guys!
    no clue from me Tana , ask some of the old timer farmers they would probably know
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Tana. That looks like an older style tobacco knife. The blade at the end would have been about 4 inches long and there would of been a wooden T handle at the other end. They were also used to cut corn. Today most people cut tobacco with a tomahawk style knife. It's tobacco harvest time in your area. Stop by a field and talk to one of the gray haired guys bossing everyone around.

Hi Tana,Might be whats left of a flap jack flipper or forged spatula
    . The hooked end 4 hanging. Yazoo

Quote Originally Posted by yazoo link=topic=14040.msg149432#msg149432 date=1379250374
    Hi Tana,Might be whats left of a flap jack flipper or forged spatula
    . The hooked end 4 hanging. Yazoo
    | I bet the hook is for hanging! But it's a bit smaller than I'd think for purpose of flippin' flap jacks... plus is pointed on the other side...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC