Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first 'REAL' hunt

My first 'REAL' hunt

Well, I've finally acquired my first detector, a Garrett Ace 350.

Under the solid-tutorage of my mentor, I've been working to learn what all the beeps, whirs, fuzzy do-ma-bobs and squeals mean that this critter utters. It's been both fun and frustrating. But I love a good challenge!

Today I left the 'ol salt mine' a little early, and ventured out to where I thought I remembered a small lean-to structure that was near an old mill site in the woods. After venturing to the location, and hiking around a bit, (quite a bit...) I determined it was going to be a bust. (but I did get to watch a beaver watching me for awhile away from the everyday 'stuff' we all deal with)

On my way home, I detoured to a well-used deer hunting camp. I sat in the Jeep and just looked at the area wondering if it was worth getting out, and where to start. I know I'm new to this, but how many of you have looked at a site with a complete blank as to where to start?

I decided 'What the heck' and went out to explore. About 10 minutes into my first 'hunt' for something totally random, I picked up a signal around three inches deep. Being a rookie I figured I had hit the mother lode, so I did my best pin-point maneuver to date (with no witnesses to see the puzzled expression on my face) and decided it was time to get some dirt under my finger nails. I brought up a badly rusted cigar tin, but hey, a find is a find, right?

[attachimg=1]

I figured I was in for a disappointing effort of old tin cans and crud, when about three feet away I picked up what seemed to be iron. I had the 350 on 'Relics' and it seemed to keep beeping low, so I figured 'what the heck'...

This time I took a little more time with the pinpoint function on the 350 and decided I might have picked up something more finite. I even took the time to brush away the pine needles and loose soil and sweep again. Lo and behold, I still had a good signal! thumbsup01

After picking a perimeter of about 8 inches, I was pulling the soil out and thought I just had some rocks in the dirt when viola!!

[attachimg=2]

Not a crazy-cool find. And I did a 'BUNCH' of walking to no avail earlier, but this silly little car TOTALLY made my day!

[attachimg=3]
    [attachimg=4]

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Garrett Ace 350

"Tradition is the illusion of permanance." -Woody Allen

Re: My first 'REAL' hunt

Of course, now, I need to go back to see if I can find the trailer that this car came with!
    Garrett Ace 350

on your 1st real venture out. Looks like you have a start to a used car lot. rofl We all dig those, I really like the old ones. Yes I have approached a site and had the same thought....where do I start?

Keep at it, you'll soon be popping coins and relics.

Looking forward to your future posts.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Hey, some of them old cars are selling pretty good these days...the real ones I mean lol Seriously, check to see who made that one and a model number and search Google or E Bay to see how much they are selling for. I think it's a great first hunt's find thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

some good vintage relics right there and a great indicator of more oldies to come
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

cool car! keep at it! your doing great! thumbsup01
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to go back to the same site bright and early on Sunday. Hopefully, by 'looking' at the site and having a little fun, I'll have something to post Sunday afternoon! News at five... :->
    Garrett Ace 350

You should detect at the ol saltmine, those mines are old lol
    Love the car, I bet there are old coins there too. Good luck today!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I noticed the AG logo. It was used in Germany for manufacturing. So you got a good chance of finding some silver as that dates it to either per war 1920-30s or postwar production in the 1950s. Dig everything learn your machine in the field..... Soon you will be getting real goodies!..... I still get pumped about those old Prince Albert tins..... Out of the 100s I have dug two were filled with coins.. One had a ring and necklace. Check inside. Good luck!

That is a great first find! | Neat car and excellent photos too. When I used to detect old homestead sites I used to dig up a lot of cars, but I don't think I have found one like that.

Like others have said, there is definitely potential at that site! Hope you do well and have fun today thumbsup01
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I think that old toy car is an awesome find!

I'd rather find something like that than a common silver coin any day.

Terrific photos too! |

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Candidate Member

Darn good start, I'm also just starting in this wonderful hobby and I can only hope that my first day out of my own back yard is that good, the car is awesome. Happy hunting.
    Can ya dig it?

I love digging stuff like that. It tells a story of the people. Coins could have been dropped by anyone, but personal items are much more interesting to me. Nice work!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac link=topic=14056.msg148416#msg148416 date=1377831693
    Coins could have been dropped by anyone, but personal items are much more interesting to me. Nice work!
    I agree with this completely personal items are very interesting and give you a connection with the people before you. Coins better date an area or site of when it was in use though.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

love the car! This will most likely be the first of many I've joked on here many times about telling my boys to 'be careful with mommy's toy cars' lol

I've collected nearly 100 & have special cases for them and let the kids play with them under close supervision. I don't want them to end up in our yard only to be dug up another 50 yrs by someone else rofl

Oh and I bet that cigar tin was exciting -checking for coins inside? My dream is to find a little cache (or big cache lol )
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Looks very similar to a 1935 Ford. I'd say definitely a mid to late 30's styling. And no, I didn't drive a new one in high school!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Candidate Member

Awesome little car! All of the cars I've found look as if they've been through a tornado, or maybe a lawn mower...

It looks just like this Tootsietoy '39 Ford Coupe that I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TootsieToy-3...#ht_1050wt_939
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow, great sleuth work Tony! |
    Garrett Ace 350

all the cars I have found are no name trash. Tootsietoys are good finds.
    Garrett Ace 350
    Garrett ProPointer
    ---
    3 Indian Head Pennies, 16 Wheat Pennies
    1 Two Cent Piece
    2 V Nickels, 3 Buffalo Nickels, 2 War Nickels
    3 Barber Dimes, 1 Mercury Dime
    1 Barber Quarter
    1 Silver Ring