Quote Originally Posted by lcoutback link=topic=14056.msg148010#msg148010 date=1377313700
Well, I've finally acquired my first detector, a Garrett Ace 350.

Under the solid-tutorage of my mentor, I've been working to learn what all the beeps, whirs, fuzzy do-ma-bobs and squeals mean that this critter utters. It's been both fun and frustrating. But I love a good challenge!

Today I left the 'ol salt mine' a little early, and ventured out to where I thought I remembered a small lean-to structure that was near an old mill site in the woods. After venturing to the location, and hiking around a bit, (quite a bit...) I determined it was going to be a bust. (but I did get to watch a beaver watching me for awhile away from the everyday 'stuff' we all deal with)

On my way home, I detoured to a well-used deer hunting camp. I sat in the Jeep and just looked at the area wondering if it was worth getting out, and where to start. I know I'm new to this, but how many of you have looked at a site with a complete blank as to where to start?

I decided 'What the heck' and went out to explore. About 10 minutes into my first 'hunt' for something totally random, I picked up a signal around three inches deep. Being a rookie I figured I had hit the mother lode, so I did my best pin-point maneuver to date (with no witnesses to see the puzzled expression on my face) and decided it was time to get some dirt under my finger nails. I brought up a badly rusted cigar tin, but hey, a find is a find, right?

[attachimg=1]

I figured I was in for a disappointing effort of old tin cans and crud, when about three feet away I picked up what seemed to be iron. I had the 350 on 'Relics' and it seemed to keep beeping low, so I figured 'what the heck'...

This time I took a little more time with the pinpoint function on the 350 and decided I might have picked up something more finite. I even took the time to brush away the pine needles and loose soil and sweep again. Lo and behold, I still had a good signal! thumbsup01

After picking a perimeter of about 8 inches, I was pulling the soil out and thought I just had some rocks in the dirt when viola!!

[attachimg=2]

Not a crazy-cool find. And I did a 'BUNCH' of walking to no avail earlier, but this silly little car TOTALLY made my day!

[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
I'd suggest what I tell all newbies,go to a coin shop and buy worn out junk silver to get a handle on the readings on your machine 10-25-50-1.00 will save a lot of time learning the sounds/vdi's ect.HH and go get'em .....