Thread: Low Signal yields Tripple Find

Low Signal yields Tripple Find

Finally been getting a chance to hunt again. Sold our house and in temp quarters until we make the big move to Florida in Oct.
    Went out to the oldest park in town last night and worked around the baseball field. Was swinging the Garrett under an old tree, and was pulling out pull tabs after pull tabs, which all showed as good signals. Then we hit a lower signal but a louder one, and thought maybe a nickel but was just a bit lower,(nickels on the AT Pro come in around a 42, and this one was a strong 38-40) so we dug anyways. About 7 down I could see the shine of silver and out came my very first Barber Dime, a 1901, BUT scratched it with the digging knife >:{. So I cover up the hole a went to swinging again, but still had a good signal at the same hole. After removing the loose dirt (which right now in this drought, was a lot easier than the first time) out came a buffalo nickel (no date). But before covering up the hole I noticed some green dirt, SO I stuck the pin pointer in one more time, and it rang out instantly, and out came a 1928 wheatie. So you never know what them lower signals will bring you. I was just real surprise I had a nickel signal instead of the silver Good hunting all.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Just one more Beep!

Re: Low Signal yields Tripple Find

Now that is a sweet hole. Funny thing about what we do....we never know whats in that hole.....

on your keepers
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

>:{ Don't you hate it when that happens! Congrats on your first Barber Dime

I have found some good stuff thinking it was prob a zinc penny but dug anyway Latest was an IH only 2deep where I assume soil had been moved around. Also lots of tokens when I thought were likely trash. When I have a lot of energy and stamina at an old site sometimes I just DIG IT ALL lol
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Hey thanks al and tanacat. Your both right, you never know on them signals. Looking back, I think my better finds have been on the lower side. Just gotta keep digging. Happy hunting all.
    Just one more Beep!

Nice hunt Buck! on your First Barber Dime!

Thanks there skibnodsister. That barber is pretty warn, but she's a beauty to me
    Just one more Beep!

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

Nice silver and I think that scar adds character. Gud read me bouy and continued good hunting! <
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Nice ! 3 in the same hole makes for efficient detecting.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Sweet spill! The lower signal probably has kept other from digging in the past but you went for it, congrats! Pocket spills give crazy signals, so you just never know, gotta dig it all!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Gotta love those old pocket spills! <:
    Nice find!
    Congrats!
    Those nickles really mess with the readings when mixed with a penny or a dime... heck, even a quarter! 8/ lol
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Awesome pocket spill! Probably dropped in the 1920s or 1930s by someone sitting under the tree.

Congrats on your first Barber Dime! |

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 420 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 406 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Hey, thanks for all the nice comments everyone You know, after reading some of the comments like from Ill Digger and milco about crazy signals from a variety of coins in the same hole, now makes sence on why I did not get my high 80's reading when I scanned over the area . You would think the silver would over ride any other metal but thats why we need to dig-dig-dig.
    Thanks again for all the comments. Not only are they a motivation booster, but even more so as an educator. I give you all a Happy hunting
    Just one more Beep!

Congrats on the silver You had some other good finds there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by buck57 link=topic=14090.msg148359#msg148359 date=1377776905
    You know, after reading some of the comments like from Ill Digger and milco about crazy signals from a variety of coins in the same hole, now makes sence on why I did not get my high 80's reading when I scanned over the area . You would think the silver would over ride any other metal
    A lot of times it depends on how the coins are stacked. If the first coin is a nickel, then the signal would be much lower than if the first coin in the stack was a silver. Iron also can drag down a signal.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

What is the item with the Disston logo? I've seen lots of Disston tools but I don't recognize that one.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Congrats on your first Barber, sweet find. Heres to many more
    Whites M6, Eclipse 6X10 DD, Sunray DX-1

Funtastic coinspill thumbsup01

Hey thanks coin nut, Skamaniac, mike I and giant056 for all the comments. It still boggles my mind on how an iron signal can over ride a silver. That just means having to go back over already worked ground and alot more digging.

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac link=topic=14090.msg148418#msg148418 date=1377833445
    What is the item with the Disston logo? I've seen lots of Disston tools but I don't recognize that one.
    Hey Skamaniac, this was a pocket knife. I looked up this company on google and Henry Disston & Sons started making saws back in 1840. On this knife, it says it was made by Disston Saws Steel. I am going to send a photo of the knife to the Disston Musem (which they have in Philidelphia) and see if they can determine a manufacture date.
    Goody hunting everyone.
    Just one more Beep!