Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business Cards

Business Cards

I'd like to have some business cards with my contact info to hand out regarding metal detecting. Does anyone use them, and what do they look like? I'd like to have the Code of Ethics on the back to help assure folks I'm not one of those guys.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Re: Business Cards

I have always thought about cards also. Try VistaPrint to design something. You can upload any design or photo and it is very reasonable. My wife uses it for her pet sitting business. Years ago I made a card on my own computer but with ink jet printer if the card gets wet it smears.

You could always post them with a flyer stating that you would help someone find lost items in exchange for being able to detect on their property. Post them on bulletin boards.
    You can't take it with you, so leave it for me to find!

I had some made up on line, but after seeing them in person, I would recommend going to a print shop and seeing some samples. I guess if I had picked a better color paper stock, I could have lived with them. But they are a very good way of reassuring some one of who you are. They do work. Let us see one if you get some done.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Interesting, I would luv to see pics of designs of cards used by members.
    It is such a simple yet productive way of introduction, wish I had thought of it for MD'ing.
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

Quote Originally Posted by Boulder link=topic=14113.msg148682#msg148682 date=1378190645

Interesting, I would luv to see pics of designs of cards used by members.
    It is such a simple yet productive way of introduction, wish I had thought of it for MD'ing.
    Here is one of my old cards. Since this is the internet lol, I've blanked out my name and town, along with the e mail address I use that was on the front of the card. I wanted a way to show all of my hobbies, since you never know when someone has some of the things I like sitting in a closet or cellar. Kind of like casually mentioning you like old cars and they show you an old Corvette in the garage they were going to just tow away lol Be creative but be safe about what you put on the card.
    [attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Members here can feel free to use the AD logo and website on cards, as well as the code of ethics as posted here. We did have some business card designs already set up with this info (with space to allow for personalization).
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

This is mine, I used Vista Print and I think it was like $10 for 500 about 4-5 years ago. I've always been an Independent member of FMDAC and my local Historical Society. In my opinion it adds a little credibility, every little bit helps when approaching someone for permission.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 link=topic=14113.msg148942#msg148942 date=1378512958
    This is mine, I used Vista Print and I think it was like $10 for 500 about 4-5 years ago. I've always been an Independent member of FMDAC and my local Historical Society. In my opinion it adds a little credibility, every little bit helps when approaching someone for permission.

I like this a lot.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Here's mine
    The land owners love them.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

I have also considered getting cards and have met several detectorists who have them. From my point of view though (and I emphasize my), I would not use the word treasure as it conjures up chests full of gold and jewelry. I can see it in people's eyes when they ask me if I'm hunting for treasure and I respond with No, just looking for old coins. Most lose interest in what I'm doing pretty quickly. I think I would use the term relic in its place. Just my thought.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 link=topic=14113.msg149251#msg149251 date=1378981793
    I have also considered getting cards and have met several detectorists who have them. From my point of view though (and I emphasize my), I would not use the word treasure as it conjures up chests full of gold and jewelry. I can see it in people's eyes when they ask me if I'm hunting for treasure and I respond with No, just looking for old coins. Most quickly lose interest in what I'm doing pretty quickly. I think I would use the term relic in its place. Just my thought.
    You are absolutely right. I don't even mention coins. I keep it all about fun and hobby and not about money.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Very nice idea's.

I need to find time to explore my options and get r done.

Thanks to all, John.

I've done two podcasts (radio shows on the internet) about designing and using business cards.

Listen to shows #77 and #94 at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

I think business cards are essential if you are a detectorist. Having the code of ethics is a great idea too although I would think the print would be awful small? I order mine from mpix.
    You can never have too many pugs....

Dick, putting the Code on a business card is akin to the disclaimers you see (well, you KINDA see) fly across your TV screen at the end of those prescription-med ads.

Candidate Member

I print my own cards using Print Explosion Deluxe software.[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]
    We cannot dwell on our problems while concentrating on detecting.

Gold Coast Treasure Hunters member
    V3i, MXT Pro, MXT, XL Pro, Modified IDX Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac link=topic=14113.msg148515#msg148515 date=1377988099
    I'd like to have some business cards with my contact info to hand out regarding metal detecting. Does anyone use them, and what do they look like? I'd like to have the Code of Ethics on the back to help assure folks I'm not one of those guys.
    I had some made and it lends a legit air to negotiating w/ owners they don't get from the rest. Hit ratio went up quite a bit and giving one to cops seems to put them at ease(and my having a ccp in 3 states helps)so they know I'm cool....

I ordered some cards to get the ball rolling, and of course my mind went blank when it came to ideas.
    Nothing fancy, but it is a start.

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

John, the majestic splendor of that ship, the dramatic colors of your card, and the words Research and Discovery Association all combine to scare the stuffing out of me. It gives me visions of you bringing on a crew of bulldozers to excavate for treasure chests!

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful card, but maybe a bit too stentorian to be used when asking if you can poke around someone's yard and maybe find a few pennies. Simpler and friendlier may get you more yesses.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Please let us know the reactions you get!

---Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danhughes link=topic=14113.msg150117#msg150117 date=1380072264
    John, the majestic splendor of that ship, the dramatic colors of your card, and the words Research and Discovery Association all combine to scare the stuffing out of me. It gives me visions of you bringing on a crew of bulldozers to excavate for treasure chests!

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful card, but maybe a bit too stentorian to be used when asking if you can poke around someone's yard and maybe find a few pennies. Simpler and friendlier may get you more yesses.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Please let us know the reactions you get!

---Dan

Good then the message did come across lol

As I mentioned I went blank and just filled in the blanks on the card form. >:\

I will keep looking for ideas for the next batch, thanks for the input, John.