Thread: Yesterday's cellar holes Most* Unique Half Cent and Gorgeous 2 Cent coin*

Yesterday's cellar holes Most* Unique Half Cent and Gorgeous 2 Cent coin*

Three new cellar holes yesterday with Dave and we both had decent days. I was envious watching Dave dig that US baby belt plate yet it gave me hope that there would be some other goodies to dig at our first site.

I few feet from Dave's buckle I got a nice coin signal when out popped a jagged edge object. I was thinking clock gear at first look but I thought it sounded to much like a coin to be anything other than a coin. At closer inspection in some day light I noticed the Draped Bust motif. Turns out to be an 1808 Draped Bust Half Cent No idea why someone would modify the coin with jagged edges This site was extremely over grown but did squeak out a cloaker and tombac before we moved on. Must get back there in Fall/Winter.

Second site was wide open and clear but only managed a 1867 and 1902 Indian along with some pewter decorative plate piece that seems kind of interesting.

Third site again was over grown with big ferns and full of iron. I did find an 1875 Indian in the old road in front of the cellar but unfortunately it looks like it was ridden over back in the day, what a shame >:/ Moved over to a ferny field across the road and got a gorgeous 2 cent piece 1866. Darkness was setting in so we called it a day.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Re: Yesterday's cellar holes Most* Unique Half Cent and Gorgeous 2 Cent coin*

Wow, That Two Cent Piece is gorgeous. Dan found that exact one in super shape too. Real nice. The half cent is a unique find for sure. I guess someone was bored and made a great relic for you. The two center cleaned up sweet, but the half cent lost a lot of detail. Both are banner worthy finds |)
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Incredible finds, Todd!

That half cent is really interesting. I have seen large cents with a toothed edge like that, but they always have a hole in the middle. I've read that they were used as pie crust crimpers.

But that two cent piece! WOW! That thing was BRAND NEW when it was dropped! Without a doubt its the nicest dug two-center I've ever seen!

And to top it off you found a couple of scarce date Indian Heads too. |

Congrats on the awesome day! |)

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=14121.msg148577#msg148577 date=1378078290
    Wow, That Two Cent Piece is gorgeous. Dan found that exact one in super shape too. Real nice. The half cent is a unique find for sure. I guess someone was bored and made a great relic for you. The two center cleaned up sweet, but the half cent lost a lot of detail. Both are banner worthy finds |)
    I hear ya about the half cent, I was hoping it would clean up nice but when I did a light tooth brush, soap and water the smooth looking patina came right off I was really surprised crying01

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=14121.msg148579#msg148579 date=1378078666
    Incredible finds, Todd!

That half cent is really interesting. I have seen large cents with a toothed edge like that, but they always have a hole in the middle. I've read that they were used as pie crust crimpers.

But that two cent piece! WOW! That thing was BRAND NEW when it was dropped! Without a doubt its the nicest dug two-center I've ever seen!

Thanks Tony, that is actually my first 2 center. They seem to avoid my coil lol That is some great info on the tooth edged coins used for pie crust(interesting)

wow very unique half cent , last year of the draped busts | | yup i have the same year two center mine is a beauty too congrats on a fine day out Todd
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

wow i thought it was gonna be the other way around with those 2 coins.what a shock the 2 center doesn't even look like it spent one day in the dirt thumbsup01
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

A couple of very nice finds !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=14121.msg148579#msg148579 date=1378078666
    Incredible finds, Todd!

I thought they could have been used as spur rowels with a hole in the center too
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

That is an amazing hunt, unique half cent for sure, nice Indians and that two cent piece wow! What is it about two cent pieces they seem to be real nice or real scuzzy! Great finds!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

I couldn't wait to see your post of this hunt Todd, and I wasn't disappointed . Great finds and the two cent is awesome.

on a great outing. Best part is neither you or Dave needed the Purple Heart awarded on this hunt. lol
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Quote Originally Posted by fsa46 link=topic=14121.msg148620#msg148620 date=1378120501
    I couldn't wait to see your post of this hunt Todd, and I wasn't disappointed . Great finds and the two cent is awesome.

on a great outing. Best part is neither you or Dave needed the Purple Heart awarded on this hunt. lol
    lol Yeah Frank, we will save the purple heart for another hunt hopefully Dave gets the next purple heart award. I am done with purple hearts

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy link=topic=14121.msg148630#msg148630 date=1378131507
    lol Yeah Frank, we will save the purple heart for another hunt hopefully Dave gets the next purple heart award. I am done with purple hearts
    that wasn't very nice wishing bodily harm on me? \ > i'll getcha!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Fantastic looking 2 center. Very strong WE and it looks like it was dropped the day it was minted. Thanks for posting the 1/2 cent, I am willing to bet that will be the only one cut like that....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member

...2 awesome finds
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Everything looks in good shape, nice drainage That 2cent is fabulous! Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

gorgeous 2 center... hey who ever did those edges sure did a nice job... nice and even all the way around... pretty cool...
    whydah

I couldn't imagine why the guy did that to the half cent but I sure do like. It's got crusty old LCs all beat to hell
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Awesome finds there Todd, that 2 center is a real looker ! Perhaps someone either used the modified LC for another tool or purpose or they simply carved out all of their LC's that way to melt the copper down for another purpose, a real unique find for sure!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token