Thread: bullet

bullet

I found this today detecting in my field..along with several very nice flat buttons.I'm assuming its a bullet,it's lead with a thick white patina and a solid base.i don't know much about bullets,but I've never seen one like this before.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: bullet

hey castletonking is there anything on the bottom of the bullet ??

it definately looks like a pistol bullet to me , maybe from around the civil war era or just after but i'm far from an expert on lead projectiles. hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in on it .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=14181.msg149106#msg149106 date=1378761720
    hey castletonking is there anything on the bottom of the bullet ??

it definately looks like a pistol bullet to me , maybe from around the civil war era or just after but i'm far from an expert on lead projectiles. hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in on it .

Dan
    all thats on the bottom is what looks to be an insert,however it is part of the bullet itself. I say insert looking,because unlike other bullets I've seen,there is a channel around the edges where the center meets the edges.

A clear picture of the bottom would help a lot. There are some great guys out there that know their bullets....I'm not one of them lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

A penny is about 3/4 wide so I am guessing that your bullet is for a 44 caliber Colt revolver. Better measurements would help with a more accurate ID. Diameter and length please.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 link=topic=14181.msg149129#msg149129 date=1378783244
    A penny is about 3/4 wide so I am guessing that your bullet is for a 44 caliber Colt revolver. Better measurements would help with a more accurate ID. Diameter and length please.
    its just shy of a half inch in diameter and just over a half an inch in length

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=14181.msg149126#msg149126 date=1378781109
    A clear picture of the bottom would help a lot. There are some great guys out there that know their bullets....I'm not one of them lol
    I've tried to get a clear picture of the bottom and its not happening