Thread: III Cent Nickel Piece

III Cent Nickel Piece

Well, I think this is about as good as she is going to get, and I cannot get a date on it, ugh! Oh well, what a thrill to find it though!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Re: III Cent Nickel Piece

Yes, the reverse is definitely the good side and unfortunately the obverse is a lot more pitted.

Even if you can't get a date off of it, it's still an incredible find! |
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Elite Member

Try some Sierra mist diet..let it soak for a day or 2, then scrub with a soft toothbrush.It always to all the corrosion off, sometimes it takes repeating a few times with a scrubbing in between
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Nickel three cent pieces don't hold up very well. That is still a decent one. Some are barely identifiable. Your looks good. thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=14230.msg149615#msg149615 date=1379378263
    Nickel three cent pieces don't hold up very well. That is still a decent one. Some are barely identifiable. Your looks good. thumbsup01
    Yup, I hear ya! This one was found by a buddy of mine last year. Probably the best dug three cent nickel piece I have ever seen!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Wow, that's a beauty And it has a date too lol Here is my only one....it barely read and it was on top of the ground where the dirt bikes went up a hill. I bet you are green with envy rofl You both got a nice, rare to find detecting, coin!!

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Oh well. It's better than it was.... it was buried in the ground. lol
    I'd be tickled just to find one.
    Congrats again!

I don't know if you want to try any other cleaning methods or not But I know Tana's nickle / soy sauce treatment really works great for removing anything on the coin. And I mean ANYTHING! lol It takes all the green gunk off, but in the process it shows any pitting too. :-\ I did it to a nasty buffalo nickle I found in a cornfield .

I can't seem to find the before pic lol
    But here's the after effect.

The back is alot nicer.

Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime