Thread: Blissful Weekend - Gold, Silver, Oldies, and Contest Ending Find!

Blissful Weekend - Gold, Silver, Oldies, and Contest Ending Find!

This was my first weekend since mid August that I was able to get in some good swing time. Saturday I headed to a new spot that had given up a Merc and a War Nickel on my first hunt there a few weeks earlier. Conditions were lousy - wet grass and bone dry dirt. Still, my third target was a nice '39 Merc. A novice might take this as a sign of things to come, but not me, I know better. I dug for another few hours and pulled 80+ coins but no more silver.

Because the ground was so dry I figured I'd hit some tot lots on Sunday and then maybe head into the woods. The first tot lot was kind of slow and I thought about skipping the others I had planned on hitting when I got lucky and pulled a small, 10k earring. It's bent and tiny but I'm happy to find gold in any size or condition. Of course that changed my tune on the tot lots and I hit several more but they gave up clad and the usual junk only.

After that I headed to an odd wooded spot that I'd hunted only two times before. The first time gave up a nice Indian Head and the second was a bust so I was only moderately hopeful for some keepers. I hunted for an hour or so finding only a bit of clad and a fair amount of junk. Then in a small clearing I pulled a few zinc pennies and beaver tails that sounded like nickels before I hit another zinc sounding tone and low and behold it was a tremendously worn old Canadian dime. The date is worn off but I believe this design was minted between 1902 and 1910. A little bit later I hit a nice silver tone and pulled a 1960 Rosie. At that point I was feeling pretty good about this spot. But things just got better. A little later I hit a nice tone, but kind of hard to pinpoint. I dug and dug but the dirt was dry and there were so many weeds and roots it was hard to pinpoint. I was close to giving up but thankfully I didn't as I finally pulled a sweet 1816 large cent! This is the oldest coin I've dug in my home turf, and the first large cent I've dug in quite a while (a year at least). I'm thrilled it has a legible date.

At that point I started heading back to the car. On the way I found a nice clothing clip with cool markings on it. Apparently the markings are the trademark of an old clothing company in Rochester:

http://www.trademarkia.com/nunquam-r...-71011637.html

Then I hit a nice nickel tone and there it was... my first shield nickel! And with a clear date! You all know how it feels to find an old coin type for the first time so I know I don't have to spend to much time describing my excitement! I was thrilled to cross another coin off my list and excited that my contest on the forum wasn't going to drag on too embarrassingly long!

So that's my fantastic weekend... thanks for reading, and as always, happy hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Elite Member

Re: Blissful Weekend - Gold, Silver, Oldies, and Contest Ending Find!

Nice batch of coins especially the Shield. Love those old Canadian Silver coins. Don't find many in Wisconsin. Wisconsin Digger
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Looks like your little hiatus has not rusted out your skills. Very nice finds and that large cent is beautiful. The 1816 date makes it even nicer. Plus your first shield nickel should make you happy. I know how long you've been telling me about wanting to find one. Also a nice Canadian silver. Funny how I have not found one when there has been a very heave Canadian presence in this area.

| | | Nice hunting.

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

You really knocked it out of the park, Matt!

Congrats on your first shield nickel! It's rare to find one that nice with a clear date. I remember how thrilled I was when I found my first one last year.

But the prize of your weekend is that 1816 large cent in my opinion! Man, that one came out of the ground looking really nice, and it's soon to be 200 years old!

I love the Canadian silver dime too. I've never found one.

Huge congrats on your terrific weekend!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Congrats on a real good hunt Matt! You got the goods this time and another reason to prioritize your time,hunt first the other stuff can wait.....

Gold, Silver and nice old copper. You sure can't beat that with a stick thumbsup01 Congrats on your first shield nickel and really nice old large cent.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Congrats on some nice digs, WTG |

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber