Thread: Large Shoe Buckle and another Connecticut copper

Large Shoe Buckle and another Connecticut copper

Picked up Dave early and made a big mistake of hitting some sites that we did little research on. We waisted the entire morning on these sites but managed to salvage the 2nd half of the day.

We headed back to the site that we got 8 coppers at last week. Today wasn't about quantity but more about quality. I was lucky enough to score a nice large shoe buckle that was almost entirely intact. The buckle was at least 11 inches deep The tongue & chape are iron so not all of it survived. Then at the end of the day I found my 51st copper of the year. A 1787 Connecticut with only one decent side. The obverse is toast but it was my 3rd CT copper at this site and the 10th copper Dave and I pulled out of here.
    Attached Images Attached Images                     
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Re: Large Shoe Buckle and another Connecticut copper

state copper and a large shoe buckle Todd
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

sweet shoe buckle! and these people at this site loved the state coppers just as much as we do
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

It's nice when you get a state copper site That shoe buckle is right around 1790's They don't curve them any more than that lol Some sites just make you feel good.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Todd you've pulled some nice shoe buckles lately That dude had big feet !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats on a beauty of a buckle. Always makes for a great hunt scoring a copper. Happy Hunting!!
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=14365.msg150874#msg150874 date=1381061157
    It's nice when you get a state copper site That shoe buckle is right around 1790's They don't curve them any more than that lol Some sites just make you feel good.
    Your exactly right, it's so much fun when you have a site that any repeatable target you dig you already know that it's going to be colonial
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent link=topic=14365.msg150883#msg150883 date=1381078489
    Todd you've pulled some nice shoe buckles lately That dude had big feet !
    For some reason I have been pulling a lot of shoe buckle relics lately

I was just looking at this old post and focused on your "Connecticut" copper. You never posted a picture of the obverse. I'd lay 100 to 1 it's not a Connecticut. It's a Vermont. I've been collecting colonials for close to 30 years and the style doesn't fit CT, but it sure looks like a VT. It looks like Vermont reverse K. This is paired with 3 different obverses, 2 that are common and one that is extremely rare. See here for photos http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_co...t_ryder_12.htm

Almost forgot to say.....great finds!

Awesome Colonial's you got there Thiltzy That shoe buckle looks like it got some plating left on it.

Quote Originally Posted by don in ny View Post
    I was just looking at this old post and focused on your "Connecticut" copper. You never posted a picture of the obverse. I'd lay 100 to 1 it's not a Connecticut. It's a Vermont. I've been collecting colonials for close to 30 years and the style doesn't fit CT, but it sure looks like a VT. It looks like Vermont reverse K. This is paired with 3 different obverses, 2 that are common and one that is extremely rare. See here for photos http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_co...t_ryder_12.htm

Now that i took another look at it , I believe you may be right . Great eye Don Todd you should give that one a better look .

Great finds. That buckle is really nice.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Don't know how I missed this post first time around, beautiful buckle would love to find one of those someday and wonderful State Copper...just lovely!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by don in ny View Post

Wow Sir... you have a great eye on colonials. It is a Vermont! After taking another look, I can see the letters "MON" in the top left of the obverse. That side is shot but I can definatley make it out as a 1787 Vermont.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

wow that is one large shoe buckle! cngrats on the finds. willy

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    Wow Sir... you have a great eye on colonials. It is a Vermont! After taking another look, I can see the letters "MON" in the top left of the obverse. That side is shot but I can definatley make it out as a 1787 Vermont.
    Thanks Thiltzy! Although there's not much on the obverse to work with, I'll try and ID the variety. The slight planchet cutter's clip may make it a bit easier. After collecting colonials for so many years there are many pieces that you can tell right off the bat stylistically. This was certainly one.

I remember years ago walking through a large coin show in White Plains with Bill Anton and we'd walk by each case and most of the coins we could attribute without using a guide or taking them out of the dealers case. Bill has one of the most amazing collections of colonials in the world with a focus on NJ pieces including many uncirculated NJ's as well as major rarities and finest known pieces. To many who haven't seen a lot of colonials they may look the same, but after you've seen quite a few over time it gets much easier. The most difficult are the 1787 CT's with the obverse draped bust facing left. There are many varieties of this style and frequently they are poorly struck on poor quality planchets. I should mention I was a contributor to the colonial section of the Guide Book or United States Coin (the Redbook) from the mid 90's up until about 2003.

Don
    Last edited by don in ny; 03-03-2014 at 07:02 AM.

Well Don, we really appreciate you knowledge and willingness to share it. I agree on the 1787 Connecticut coppers Sometimes they all become a blur when looking through Breens.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Well Don, we really appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share it.
    I couldn't agree more !