Thread: Potential Rochambeau campsite turns up* not much lol*1 copper & silver

Potential Rochambeau campsite turns up* not much lol*1 copper & silver

Got permission to hunt a tract of land in the vicinity of where General Rochambeau and his french army camped during the Revolutionary War.the guy that got me permission lives in a house around the corner and found a bayonet in his yard 30 years ago.everything seemed right.the same road,nice chunk of woods and the old house across the st was a tavern that the commanders frequented during their stay.i was pumped when walking in there.nice walls hardly any trash but hardly any targets.no buttons.i got a lone wiped out toasted copper,a few brass scraps and near the wall a great signal! a sterling pocket knife 2 ox shoes & 2 horse shoes
    After i felt i hunted this area good i walked down to the guys house and he let me hit his yard.i got 2 wheaties .his house was built in 1890 but a small yard and filled in crying01.one nice iron signal in his yard i dig down see a pointed tip..i'm like yeah baby!!!!!!!! bayonet!!!!!!!!!!!! ummmm old rusty file.wasn't a bad day i suppose but a bummer when you have visions of french rev war buttons etc and walk out with your tail between your legs
    If anyone has any info on the hallmarks on this knife & company/age etc I'd appreciate it.i'm figuring 1940's or so? one stainless blade and apparently the other wasn't stainless as it fell apart as i was cleaning it which loosened up the good blade ad now i'm able to open it up
    Hopefully Todd & me have a good day sunday!
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Re: Potential Rochambeau campsite turns up* not much lol*1 copper & silver

Dave , its never easy looking for something specific at a site and your quick to get discouraged when you don't . searching large areas is very time consuming with one or two coils and it could take you a half a dozen trips to that spot before you turn up anything. congrats on the sterling knife | |
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=14419.msg151415#msg151415 date=1381638979
    Dave , its never easy looking for something specific at a site and your quick to get discouraged when you don't . searching large areas is very time consuming with one or two coils and it could take you a half a dozen trips to that spot before you turn up anything. congrats on the sterling knife | |
    theres only a few patches of leafy ground Dan,the rest is super thick barberries unwalkable nevermind detectable.i think they camped at a very large field just up the road.acres of open hayfields behind a colonial home.there is a smaller hayfield adjacent to this wooded area that i have permission to detect when its cut in a few weeks
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

on the sterling knife and hope the return trip will produce those rev war items you are searching for.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

That is a NICE knife. Those Rev War goodies could be just across the street waiting for you.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Very cool sterling silver knife! Interesting that someone tried to add to the initials by adding an M at the beginning.

I guess it's all relative, I would be happy to find ANY old copper here in Illinois.

Best of luck hunting the adjacent hay field after it's cut! |
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That toasted copper almost looks like a Fugio or Nova Nice sterling knife. It isn't the hunt you wanted, but not a bad hunt anyways thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Sounds like nice potential, good luck on those wheat fields in a few weeks!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token