Thread: Interesting story about my first e-trac gold find!

Interesting story about my first e-trac gold find!

Hey diggers, As you probably know, e-tracs are not famous for being gold magnets. I found lots of gold with my ACE 250 but none with my e-trac. That changed yesterday at an old house. It was a pleasant day with the temperature being about 50 degrees and sunny skies. I was finding lots of modern coins in the small front yard but nothing old. I had found 2 or 3 small coin spills but they were mostly penny spills. As I worked over by the foundation, I got a weird signal at 3 inches deep. It was jumping around a bit but was clearly a coin-like signal. I cut the plug and out pops a jefferson nickel.

Hmmmm, I thought that didn't make sense for the type of signal I had gotten. I put the probe back into the hole out popped out a clad dime. Put the probe back in and got two pennies. As I was moving the dirt around looking for the pennies I saw a flash of gold! What? I rubbed it and sure enough, it was gold! A tiny gold medallion in the shape of a Chinese fortune cookie (of all things). I passed it in front of the coil to see how it rang up. Would you believe it rang up as 08-0 I would never dig a signal like that (ever). If it wasn't for the coin spill, I would not have found it. When I got home I was able to see a 14K mark on the loop. It weighs in at a slim 2.2 grams which equals $55 on 10/26/13.

I know we have all found things (usually non-metallic) in our dug holes but this has got to be a first! Here are some pics. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Re: Interesting story about my first e-trac gold find!

you know the old saying about id would rather be lucky than good maybe theirs some truth to it congrats on your first gold with the e trac i am still waiting for mine dennis

nice gold piece! the golden fortune cookie...sounds like a charlie chan movie title. i have only found one gold item a 10k ring in the same hole...1926 buffalo nickel at the base of an old tree in an old park i use a teknetic delta 4000...the nickel and the ring both id=ed at 57

Nice find! I've gotten a couple of gold rings around 08-08 on the etrac. Gold really does come in all over the place. No easy way around having to dig it all that I can figure out!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Awesome story, Dave! Congrats on your first E-Trac gold! |

I really like that fortune cookie charm! I've never seen anything like it.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Sweet gold thumbsup01 , Great bunch of finds !
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Cool finds! Congrats on the gold, I'll bet you will be digging more 08-08's now! If I am in a yard I'll dig just about everything, it's great to get those surprise signals!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger link=topic=14533.msg152457#msg152457 date=1382900817
    Would you believe it rang up as 08-0 I would never dig a signal like that (ever).

Congrats on the gold! | Great story...

Your new name will be &quotig-it-all-Dave... lol
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Congrats on your gold! I have found five gold rings so far with my E-Trac and they have all been 12-12 or 12-13 nickel signals. So now I did all nickel signals regardless of depth.
    2017 Totals: 21 Clad / $1.85 / 1 Silver Coin / 2 Wheaties / 0 Rings
    2011-16 Totals: 12,902 Clad / $1,094.43 / 301 Silver Coins / 590 Wheaties / 71 Rings

Hey Dig-It-All,
    That's some sweet digging. Those presidential tokens aluminum? Nice job, Drew
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=14533.msg152544#msg152544 date=1383001128
    Hey Dig-It-All,
    That's some sweet digging. Those presidential tokens aluminum? Nice job, Drew
    Oh yeah, the infamous 1968 Shell Game Coins! You know, the ones that ring up like silver quarters and then let you down hard. :-)
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Elite Member

Etrac is great but you definitely are right when you say it's no gold magnet. Great find. I also like the Cracker Jack Presidents. I just found a Teddy Roosevelt. It rang up as a 12-45 so you know what I was hoping for, but the medallion is cool. Great hunt Wisconsin Digger
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Congrats on the gold cookie lol I'm a relic guy, so an 08-08 signal would have been dug every time. A lot of dainty gold rings come in at 12-03, 12-04 and most people do not dig those either. If you have access to different gold pieces, I would scan them to see the numbers. I'm assuming you are not going to open that cookie are you?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

on the golden cookie. Looks great. Will you be digging 08-08 signals from now on............thinkingabout:
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member

Congrats..may it bring you good fortune
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC