Thread: Greetings from West Virginia

Greetings from West Virginia

Good morning, all.

I am at the ripe old age of 41 and am considering taking up detecting as a hobby. There is a great deal of area here in The Mountain State that I think may yield some interesting finds. I'm not a treasure hunter, per se, but I love coming across items from the past that might tell a bit about the area I am prowling.

I come to you good people to beg for help, and I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I truly have no idea where to start in regards to a detector. I'd like to find a quality detector for $500 or less that would be suited to fields, woods, etc. I can almost guarantee it will never see a beach, but never say never. I have tried to do searches online for reviews but my findings have left me a bit more confused than when I started.

If you folks can start pointing me in directions I would be most appreciative.

Thank you all in advance for any assistance you may be able to afford me.

Take care.
    Aaron

Re: Greetings from West Virginia

Good morning, Aaron! Welcome from Illinois!

We're glad you joined our forum. I know what you mean about being confused by all of the online metal detector reviews. There is a lot of contradictory information out there. Sometimes I wonder if these reviews are planted by the various metal detector manufacturers.

There are a few machines by Garrett and Fisher that would be in your price range. You could get a Garrett Ace 350 for around $340. This is a very popular and well respected machine.

Fisher has their F2 with DD coil for about $300 and their F4 for about $400. (I would strongly recommend getting the version that has a Double D coil.)

One of our forum sponsors is Big Boys Hobbies and they are one of the most highly regarded dealers in the country. When you decide to buy, give them a try and they will put together a very attractive package for you and continue to give you great service after the sale.

http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/

I would also recommend leaving room in your budget for a hand-held pin pointer. They will save you lots of time and frustration in the long run by telling you if the object is still in the hole, in your plug or in your dirt pile. Definitely worth it.

Best of luck and I hope that you are soon posting your finds here on the forum! |

Tony

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard Aaron!
    I second everything Tony said. It's a great hobby, hope you dig it.
    Remember to fill in your holes neatly too.
    Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero & Silver uMax.

Welcome aboard Aaron from western MA. You will love this hobby. I think the hardest part is not what machine to get in regards to it's features, but how it handles the soil in your area. Soil, along with moisture, plays a significant role in how deep and how stable a machine will be. So if your soil is red, most machines will have a problem with the iron. In your price range, I would ask Bart at bigboyshobbies on what he can do for you. Also you may consider a used machine of higher performance, for the same price. Minelab has some great machines, but not cheap. So there are a few things to consider. Call Bart and quiz him lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Another welcome from western MA. Hope your hunt for a detector has been narrowed down. It only takes on good find to get hooked on this hobby. Looking forward to your future posts.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

hi from pa. i agree with everybody's responses, especially about a pin pointer...a detector will tell you about where it is the pin pointer will tell you exactly where it is. as well stick with this forum, there are many guys and gals to answer any questions which is invaluable. you will be amazed at the amount of experience these folks are willing to share...or you can go out and try to find things out on your own lol trust me thats not always the best way! and, you can teach us things you have learned as well.....welcome

Hello Aaron , welcome to the forum

The soil down in your parts as some have said might be that very ruddy red type which is loaded with iron and give most vlf type detectors a very hard time . I f this is the case then a machine with a &quotshocked04:uble D coil configuration would be best as well with any machine with an auto ground tracking feature. there not a must but these features will make it a bit easier for you to find the deeper stuff. I don't like steer someone to just one type of machine as they all have their plus and minuses but do your homework on the different types and their features . We have a great dealer here (Bart at BigboysHobbies) who is very professional and can't be beat in service , ask a lot of questions .we'll answer anything here thats what we're here for .

Glad to have you here Aaron

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome from CT! I'd love to give you advice but I don't even know which machine I should be swinging lol :: I'm not kidding I hope you are pleased with whatever you choose and hope you enjoy it here
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Good evening, all.

I simply cannot thank you enough for the warm welcomes and the advise on where to go and who to talk to. I am going to e-mail Bart post-haste and get the ball rolling.

Thank you all again so much.

Take care, and hope to meet you good people some day.
    Aaron

Welcome from Wisconsin! No matter what machine you decide one, I would aim for the $300-400 range and then make sure you also get a pinpointer, they're worth every penny!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Hello Aaron, and Welcome to the forum from John in New Jersey. thumbsup01
    As for a detector, I would suggest a Garrett AT-Pro, which is digital, waterproofed to ten feet and makes a good backup/loaner should you ever upgrade to another detector.
    The AT-Pro is a few dollars more than your detector budget with a Pro-Pointer, but may be worth the wait.
    Best of luck with what ever you choose, John.

Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Welcome to the forum and hobby from SE Wisconsin.
    I would go with any major manufacturers detector in the $300- $400 range and use the rest of the money for a Garret ProPointer and a good pair of headphones. A good quality digging tool is also essential such as a Lesch tool. Give our forum sponsor (Bart at Big boy Hobbies) a call and I'm sure he can suggest what would be best for your specific type of hunting. He will also give you the best package deal and after sale support.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

great forum and why i like it. 10 responses to your question and if we could add the number of years all these guys have been detecting....well thats a bunch of experience. i learn something, sometimes alot of something every time i log on

welcome,
    I agree . you could go with a $220.00 machine like a Fischer F2 and find lots of clad all day long.
    It's a great machine for a beginner. BUT, I guarantee that you will want to upgrade within a few months.( By this time you will have caught the fever )
    I would go a little higher from the get go. also the Garrett pro pointer is the way to go. it will take a little more abuse than some of the others.
    Good Luck and Happy hunting

Good morning, all.

I simply cannot thank you all enough for the help and the direction.

It's been two months since I first started this quest but I am finally ready to purchase a Christmas present for myself.

I just e-mailed Bart and asked for pricing of machine, headphones, and pin pointer on the Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F5, and Minelab 305. I think I prefer the Garrett but I'd like to check cost on all three before making a final decision.

Thank you all again, and take care.
    Aaron

Welcome aboard from Panama City Beach Florida! I'd look at either the MX5 from White's (it's rain resistant I hear, great in case you get caught out in a storm) or the AT Pro from Garrett (it's supposed to be submersible to 10 feet of water). I don't think either is very well suited for salt water however. Friends who have the AT Pro say that it really struggles at the beach in the wet. They all have other "dedicated" salt water machines. But the LOVE LOVE LOVE their AT Pro machines in the field and fresh water. Good Luck on your decision and Happy Hunting! Keep us posted.