Thread: 4 visits to new site: 140 wheats, 15 silver coins, silver and gold rings!

4 visits to new site: 140 wheats, 15 silver coins, silver and gold rings!

So a friend and I began exploring an unused area of an older park. The first trip netted almost 60 wheat penny's and 6 silver coins. We had been hunting with heavy discrimination, only digging high end signals. (the area is extremely trashy, TONS of screw caps) We were a bit taken aback by how many wheat penny's there were. Subsequent visits, 4 total for me, and 2 total for my friend yielded 140 wheat's and 15 silver coins, along with the 2 rings shown in the pics on this post. It wasn't until this last solo visit by me that things really started rocking!!! I had still been detecting with discrimination until I found the v-nickel 3 wheat spill. At that point I decided I was going to circle around the hole with no discrimination and dig every signal. (we had discussed doing this in a 10'X 10' area to see what the trash was hiding from us) I'm glad I did, my first signal after was the gold and silver wire ring. 30 minutes later, and maybe a 15'X15' area later I had 4 buffalo nickels 2 war nickels, some junk jewelry, and of course that very nice gold and silver ring!!! I can't wait to go back and start digging everything, though near the end I started to go over a trashy area and was getting a ton of screw caps again. Enjoy the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images              

Re: 4 visits to new site: 140 wheats, 15 silver coins, silver and gold rings!

very sweet finds Matt , love the gold and silver ring
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow! That's a ton of nice finds from one site! 140 wheat cents?! HOLY COW!

I really like that gold & silver wire ring!

I bet there is a lot more there.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

i dream of hunts like these!!!140 wheats,,i think i am up to 20 in my first year...i would probably lose sleep until i could get back there again...lol way to go

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

You have to be one with your machine. Dig them all...whatthe halibut. Nice selection of finds. <
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Elite Member

Sounds like you got a fun site. thumbsup01 Very unusual gold/silver ring, I like it
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

WOW! That is a great haul for 4 hunts and all at one site!! |) Congratz!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Man did you have a wheelbarrow to haul away that load?!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Great bunch of finds ! thumbsup01
    Always looking for that next ring !!

What a couple of hunts.... and finds!
    Like the others have said... the gold & silver twisted wire ring is just sweet!
    Plus the sterling ring, and all those old coins....
    Good call on checking-out the other part of the park! thumbsup01
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by mdakin link=topic=14562.msg152720#msg152720 date=1383249866
    .... I had still been detecting with discrimination until I found the v-nickel 3 wheat spill. At that point I decided I was going to circle around the hole with no discrimination and dig every signal. (we had discussed doing this in a 10'X 10' area to see what the trash was hiding from us)
    You say no discrimination.... Did you dig alot of iron as well? Any goodies sitting on top of or next to iron? ::
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Wow! I would pound that place for years. Have you looked at old aerial imagery from the 1930-40's to see what was in that unused section of the park?
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=14562.msg152818#msg152818 date=1383372215
    What a couple of hunts.... and finds!
    Like the others have said... the gold & silver twisted wire ring is just sweet!
    Plus the sterling ring, and all those old coins....
    Good call on checking-out the other part of the park! thumbsup01
    Congrats!
    You say no discrimination.... Did you dig alot of iron as well? Any goodies sitting on top of or next to iron? ::
    I was listening to all signals including iron sounds. I didn't dig any iron signals, but anything above iron I did. Prior to that, I had discriminated out everything but screw cap and higher sounds.

You got a good mixture of items !!!!! Congrats on a great hunt !!!!
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

Nice looking finds Matt. That is a ton of wheats lol Junky areas have potential if you don't mind listening to a lot of sounds. That place will keep you busy for a while
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Thanks all for the nice feedback, I'm really enjoying this site. Here's a link to my fifth visit to it. http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...?topic=14617.0

Very impressive!
    2017 Totals: 21 Clad / $1.85 / 1 Silver Coin / 2 Wheaties / 0 Rings
    2011-16 Totals: 12,902 Clad / $1,094.43 / 301 Silver Coins / 590 Wheaties / 71 Rings