Thread: Portable test garden

Portable test garden

A friend of ours, who goes by Jaybem, showed us the coolest thing a few years back. I took some pics of it but can't seem to find them, so I'll do my best to describe....

He took some packing tape and laid out a long strip of it, sticky side up (something holding it down on each end, of course).

Every 18 to 24 inches he placed an item... a small gold nugget, a gold ring, a white gold ring, an Indian Head Penny, a Buffalo Nickel, a silver dime, a bottle cap, etc, etc... you get the idea... anything you want, but focussing on what might give an odd signal.. such as gold giving a lower signal, etc.....

Then, he applied another layer of the packing tape (sticky side down to the items) and covered the items, adhering the tape to the items and the strip of tape below the items.

When you're done applying the top layer of tape, you have a portable test garden you can roll up in a tidy manner and bring along for others to test their own detectors on.... or even be sure your's is in tune every now and then.

Re: Portable test garden

That's a great idea Donna thumbsup01 I would probably accidentally throw it away, gold rings and all, so I would have to be careful though There have been so many times when I'm detecting that I wish I had a particular item to test.... especially mid-tone items.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

That is a pretty handy idea, thanks for sharing! thumbsup01
    Jimmy - Minelab X-Terra 30 | White's BHID 300 | White's Spectrum XLT | Vibra-Probe 570
    My Blog

That's a pretty good idea, since I will probably never get into making one in the back yard lol It would really help if you want to see how close you could find a dime next to a nail.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold