Thread: A Great new spot with some firsts

Elite Member

A Great new spot with some firsts

Last weekend Tim and I were out...we drove past a huge old 1700s farm, that really is beautiful, it overlooks the Berkshires, the old house is in great shape, big huge trees lining the front, HUGE field around it..picture perfect. We both remarked about how much we'd love to hit it. A bit later I realized what road we were on and I remarked that I had a client who had a farm on this road (there are several), but I didn't know which one. I sent a text to his brother in law to ask the address, on the way back through we matched the address with the farm....it was the exact one we wanted to hit ...so we stopped in. He gave us a tour and we asked if we could come back this weekend...and he said yes...we were both as giddy as school girls

So this Sunday, at first light we were hitting the 50acre hayfield. It was slow going, a D buckle, then a bit later another...it was really quiet, not a lot popping, here and there freakin' 8 inch deep memorials >:#. I got a great hit and it ended up being a modern silver bangle. Finally I scored a flat button, a bit later Tim scored his buckle.. After about 2 hrs. I managed a really toasty small copper coin, which I have no idea what is really is . Ihad also scored a 46 roosie. Then the owner comes driving through the field in a PT Cruiser...I was laughing my but off. They got out of the car to see what we had found so far. Then the guy that was with the owner said that there was a cellar hole right in the woods next to the field. So we went directly to the area. The foundation looked t be that of a barn. No luck around it. BUT in the field adjacent to it (where we believe a house once stood)..well that's a different story. Buttons seemed to be everywhere . I scored another toasted small copper coin. Then..finally a 12/38 signal. I was expecting a button or something...but it was a Large Cent on edge...1813 Capped (first capped for me) ...then a few steps a 12/24 hit....I couldn't make out the front, but definitely knew the back with the wreath...I assumed it was a fatty indian (once I got it home and cleaned it off...it was a FLYING EAGLE! [another first for me]) happydance02. I got a lock box part in that area....wish I found what was in it. I also scored a croatal bell too. I was making my way back though the field, and scored a really nice buckle too.

So as we were leaving for the day, the owner was leaving too. We asked if we could come back this weekend, he said, anytime, and that this coming weekend he'd make us eggs and bacon...and that he has another 190 acres with cellar holes.......It's a hunting dream fantasy come true

and yes...I know..my pics suck..... > >.... lol
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Re: A Great new spot with some firsts

Damn... Rob, you need to let me really appreciate some great finds you are making but I can't see a darn thing with these blurry pictures lol
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Nice finds! hate finding deep memorials too!

one heck of a site! love it when home owners are so friendly.makes ya feel all warm n fuzzy inside.sweet finds! good luck on your next hunt!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

a PT cruiser aaaaahhh it must stand for pretend tractor lol lol rofl

Rob congrats on your couple of firsts , the only item i can positively identify is the shoe buckle nice hope you guys do just as well next time | |
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Some good firsts Rob. Keep that up and it becomes a lot harder to get first lol Soon you will have it all
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Good looking buckle Rob. You are going to be there a long time. Eggs and bacon too? Maybe they'll give you a room lol
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=14592.msg153091#msg153091 date=1383643683
    Good looking buckle Rob. You are going to be there a long time. Eggs and bacon too? Maybe they'll give you a room lol
    forget the room ask for a real camera lol rofl
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on your new site and the firsts! I'll bet those acres will be a great place for years of future hunting!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Bunch of neat finds, and it is sweet when you find a owner that is so willing to help you in your detecting.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

on securing that site. From your description that site has the potential for years of hunting. Great finds there buddy, really wish I could hit it with you... .

If you want to stop by I will take some pictures and then email them to you......daylight hours only.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=14592.msg153093#msg153093 date=1383654184
    forget the room ask for a real camera lol rofl
    Believe it or not...I did go out and buy a new camera right before my trip last month....but it is such a pain to take the photos , remember to bring it to work, then load them onto the computer at work...much simpler to take the photo and email it to myself from my phone

Apparently I just need a new phone..... rofl
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=14592.msg153108#msg153108 date=1383667041
    on securing that site. From your description that site has the potential for years of hunting. Great finds there buddy, really wish I could hit it with you... .

If you want to stop by I will take some pictures and then email them to you......daylight hours only.
    Wish you could be there with us......someday you will walk again ...then you'll be the bionic man

Apparently I just need a new phone..... rofl

You know the routine.....go to McDonald's.

My offer still stands.....unlike me
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=14592.msg153138#msg153138 date=1383698387
    My offer still stands.....unlike me
    <} lol rofl :hysterical:

Thanks for the offer thumbsup01

Fuzzy or not, great finds either way
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."