Thread: Returning old timer from Alabama

Returning old timer from Alabama

Hello,
    I've been away from detecting for at least twenty-five years now. I'm retired & just last week bought a new one, the advanced technology is impressive. I'm currently just practicing in the yard with it because I've got a little disability from the Vietnam war that left me a little short on arm strength. It's gotten worse as the years go on but I'm hoping MD'ing will be good therapy. Possibly will try a Pro-Swing 45 when the funds get right.
    David

Re: Returning old timer from Alabama

:: Welcome!
    And glad to have you rejoin the hobby! I took a similar hiatus, but it comes back quickly, even with the new techie stuff.

Oh, and as it was sadly said too little at the time, Thank you for your honorable service to our country.
    The Best That You Know Is The Best That You've Had

Hello David , welcome back to the hobby and to the forum . thank you for your service to our country sir . yes the technology has really improved in the last decade or two and there are some very light weight machines now days too. I wish you a lot of success and am glad you joined us . |

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome back David. Yes, the technology is impressive, the machines lighter, but one sad thing....the coins are scarcer lol It was a lot different back then. Now we fight for our finds And another Thank You for you service, so that we have the freedom and safety to do things we like, including metal detecting ::
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Welcome from Illinois!

Glad you joined the forum, David! I, too, took an extended break from the hobby. I detected a lot back in the 1980s and just recently got back into the hobby in 2011.

I can tell you that regular metal detecting certainly has increased my arm strength, not just from swinging the detector but from digging as well. I hope it helps you too.

Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby from SE Wisconsin. I used a bungie type system for many years before I had my shoulder fixed. There are a couple different ones out there that might fit your budget, just do a google search and I m sure a few will pop up. Good luck and do not forget to post some of your finds.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard David!
    Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero & Silver uMax.

:: Welcome to the group and I hope you have a great Veteran's Day. ::
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Thank you for your service David! Get out there on Veteran's Day and find a cache | |) |) (welcome to the group)
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Welcome from western MA. Gotta love the new technology. Thank you for your service and looking forward to your future posts.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Howdy from Kentucky Like Jeff said, a bungee system can really help. I just got the Pro-Swing harness due to shoulder issues and it works great, but I think you could easily rig something up on your own with bungees.

Something else helpful might be Aircast Elbow Braces. They're only $12 online. My friend who hunts for long periods swears by them... I think I'll order some now while I'm thinking about it lol

Welcome to the forum and I hope you are able to hunt without pain.

Congrats on being retired and able to hunt your heart's desire
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Hello and Welcome from John in New Jersey.
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3