Thread: Sundays Cellar hole... Rev War Button, Silver Cuff Links, King George and more

Sundays Cellar hole... Rev War Button, Silver Cuff Links, King George and more

Dave and I received an invite from a great Kid named John. He lives in Mass and wanted to hunt with us on some privately owned property that is in his family. When I heard "Private Property" my mind began seeing visions of sugar plums

The 1st site was tucked just behind a field stone wall adjacent to a large open field and was barely visible to the naked eye. Within the 1st few mins a got a very iffy signal that sounded good from one angle and bad from another. Four inches later and out pops a pair of colonial brass cuff links that still had an intact figure eight iron link

Buttons, buttons, and more buttons were popping out of the ground and a total of 24 found their way under my coil. We started wondering when coins would start showing themselves and that's when John called me over to help him locate a target. As I was making my way towards him, I got a nice signal, marked it with my lesche, then continued on to help John. Back to where I marked that signal, I pulled out the 1st and only coin from the site. It was a 1729 or 1739 KG II with a gorgeous patina.

A while later, I stopped to chat with Dave and when I turned to walk away from him, I got a low Vdi target that I assumed was going to be another tombac. To my surprise I found a Revolutionary War pewter button sitting in my palm. It seems to be a 2nd Regiment Mass button but I need to confirm this. It is my 1st Rev War button dug Later on after finding a shoe buckle frame I noticed dark setting in bringing an end to the day but a few more sweeps of the coil was when I heard a high vdi target that sounded more like an Indian head penny. Then I saw an octagon shape with a shiny edge at the bottom of the hole and pulled out my 2nd set of cufflinks on the day but this time they were silver! What a great day of hunting which was all made possible by John sending us the invite
    Attached Images Attached Images                     
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

wow what a hunt Todd , the "Thomas 2nd Regimental" button is a spectacular piece of early history take care of it that pewter it likes to crumble apart very easily. greta copper and the silver cufflinks are beautiful. great hunt

the 1775 2nd Massachusett regiment. it consolidated with Cotton's 4th regiment to form the 23rd Continental regiment of the Continental Army in 1776.
    Last edited by del; 11-13-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

sweet hunt Todd! congrats on your 1st Rev War button.love the cufflinks too! I'll talk to John & see if we can go back to that site for a few hours in the morning
    Last edited by HEAVYMETALNUT; 11-13-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    wow what a hunt Todd , the "Thomas 2nd Regimental" button is a spectacular piece of early history take care of it that pewter it likes to crumble apart very easily. greta copper and the silver cufflinks are beautiful. great hunt

the 1775 2nd Massachusett regiment. it consolidated with Cotton's 4th regiment to form the 23rd Continental regiment of the Continental Army in 1776.
    Thanks Dan, I did not even clean the button with anything. I just sealed it in hair spray when I got home. Thanks for the info on the 2nd regiment. Do you feel it's definitely Massachusetts?

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    Thanks for the info on the 2nd regiment. Do you feel it's definitely Massachusetts?
    yes that particular button and the 2nd regiment was part of "Massachusett's Grand Army of 1775" not to be confused with the 2nd Massachusetts regiment of 1781
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

My gosh what an awesome hunt that was...lovely buttons, cuff links and coin...just incredible!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

So much to look at Todd! I've never found silver cuff-links, those are sweet. I don't know where the emoticons are with this new forum system but I'd use lots of OMG ones lol
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

What a hunt Todd! Love the Regimental button!

Freekin Awesome Hunt Todd! I've been dying to dig a Rev war Military Button for some time.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    yes that particular button and the 2nd regiment was part of "Massachusett's Grand Army of 1775" not to be confused with the 2nd Massachusetts regiment of 1781
    Thanks Bell

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 View Post
    What a hunt Todd! Love the Regimental button!
    I love the Rev War button also Thanks Drew

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Freekin Awesome Hunt Todd! I've been dying to dig a Rev war Military Button for some time.
    It is always great going to a site that you have a good feeling about and then bringing it to fruition Roger. I always wanted to dig a Rev war relic also

Monumental hunt, Todd!

So many incredible finds! That King George II is in terrific shape! Love the silver cufflinks! The Revolutionary War button is a spectacular piece of history!

Even the flat buttons are a wonder to behold. Such intricate hand-tooled designs on them.

Congrats on the great hunt!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Holy smokes! That was an epic hunt!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats on a super button Usually we don't see the pewter buttons hold up that well. Gorgeous piece of history...and them silver cufflinks aren't to shabby either
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Hey Todd.received my book I won today in the mail.looked up your button.here she is along with a story on the 2nd Rgmt
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Wow! That was the hunt we all dream about, Good for you.