Thread: Year end summary as ground is officially froze. It was a good year

Elite Member

Year end summary as ground is officially froze. It was a good year

Already starting to miss swinging the coil and its only been a little over 1 week. Don't know if I'll ever duplicate this year but am hoping to find some older coins down the road. I'll admit my totals this year were drastically inflated by finding a Virgin Church grounds only 2 miles from my house. With that said I still had a decent year regardless of the "honey hole" spot. Finished the year with 322 Silver almost half of which were Mercury Dimes. Pretty typical in Wisconsin at least in my area. Found a lot more Washingtons this year than I thought I would but the Standing Liberties were scarce as usual and the Barbers never showed up. Hit the same amount of Silver Halves as last year but found 7 Clad halves this year after finding none in 2013. The big improvement this year was Buffalos and War Nickels (Etrac difference) Last year I found 2 Buffalos and 6 War Nickels and this year it was 49 Buffalos and 45 War Nickels. That is a testament on how good the Etrac detector is. Can't believe the CTX3030 is even better. Great machine. Anyway can't wait for 2014 thaw with a few new spots in mind.

19 Indians
    508 Wheats
    7 V Nickels (Oldest 1887)
    49 Buffalos
    45 War Nickels
    13 Barber Dimes (oldest 1894)
    152 Mercuries (1916 in vf-ef condition)
    78 Rosevelts
    1 Canadian (1941 I think)
    2 Standing Lib (still none with a date)
    26 Washingtons
    5 Walkers
    About $250 in clad

Church Ground summary (32 War Nickels, 122 silver dimes, 19 Wash., 1 SL and 5 Walkers and an Indian, V-nickel and 26 Buffalos)

Best pocket spill for the year was 5 Mercurys a Barber dime and a Buffalo
    Did mange to find 1 gold class ring (still looking for owner)
    Found several really old belt buckles (old for Wisconsin) but none that have any significance
    Oldest coin was a 1876 Indian
    Did find 3 dime trifectas if I can use a Canadian for one
    Several silver items but not as many as I thought I would find
    and considering my Honey Hole spot I did find a ton of religious metals but not one was silver

I plan on spending some of the winter reclogging some finds from the 70's when my Dad was detecting to give everyone a flavor of the old days. I believe I have records from a period of about 3 years. The rest of the winter will be looking for new spots. Be well and I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving and Xmas. To you guys that don't have the white stuff , keep making the videos as it helps while my detector is in storage. Wisconsin Digger
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Wow,what an excellent year of finds.
    I hope as I upgrade my machine and get a few years under my belt that I could find even a fraction of what you find.
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

very impressive year totals wisconsin digger congrats on a very impressive silver tally lets hope for a quick and unseasonably warm winter

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow!!!!!!!! you did really awesome this year for sure

Framing those coins makes a great display All that silver side by side is blinding
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Amazing year for you! I would hoard all those coins! Lol. I was just thinking the woods don't freeze too hard here in New England but I'm not sure how it is in Wisconsin. Here I'm able to dig year round. Lots of colonial hunting in the winter.

You had an AWESOME year and I have enjoyed watching it! Thanks for all your posts and showing what a great detectorist you are. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Congrats on a great year! It must have been great to hit that church grounds all year long, good luck in your winter research and future locations!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Veteran Member
    Truly an amazing year congratulations!!!! With those results it gives me the inspiration to work hard over the winter to bring on better success in 2014. Take care and be safe!!!

Great year and great looking displays. That church really gave up the goodies. Like Del said, lets hope for an unseasonably warm winter.

Here's hoping 2014 is better for you.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Great load of silver!How do you clean your nickels?

No doubt about it, you had a mind-blowing year!

Certain things really stand out, like the buffalo nickels, war nickels and silver dimes. Unreal numbers on those! That virgin church grounds was the find of a lifetime!

Your display cases really look impressive too.

Congrats on the extraordinary year!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Elite Member
    I'm a vinegar and salt guy. I clean all my clad that way and use a lighter dose of salt on the nickels or you can burn them. I know its not recommended but they definitely look nicer than the ground brown color. Wisconsin Digger

Incredible year! And I love the displays you did! Best wishes next year!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Wow! that is one heck of a silver year. That church site silver count is crazy. They must have had some kind of picnic with games where most things cost a nickel or dime. Congrats on a fantastic year and good luck next season.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Elite Member
    I'm hoping to get to Tennessee this winter as I have a brother near Nashville. What kind of weather do they have in Feb.-March. Wisconsin Digger

Congrats on a great year! Got a couple more hunting days left this week in Northern Illinois and then we will be done for 2013. Come on March!
    2017 Totals: 21 Clad / $1.85 / 1 Silver Coin / 2 Wheaties / 0 Rings
    2011-16 Totals: 12,902 Clad / $1,094.43 / 301 Silver Coins / 590 Wheaties / 71 Rings

Sounds like you had a very good year. Maybe you need to become a snowbird during winter freeze. I know when the ground freezes in Kentucky I go into detecting withdraws. Time to do research on potential new productive areas. Wags