Thread: Odd small cuff button

Odd small cuff button

Yesterday I made it out for a few with Safari Scott. I found this very small cuff button. It looks like it has a deer hoof on it. My question is how old could this be. Very crude shape.

Here's a little history in the site. This site has put out Scott's Hingley copper and 2 KG II coppers 1 young head and a 1740 old head.
    Primary machine: Fisher F75 SE Black
    Killer B's Camo headphones
    Oldest coin: 1652 Massachusetts pine tree 6 pence

Alan , buttons can be dated by the type of metal composition and type of construction. is your button a 1-piece , 2- piece and what type of metal do you think it is ?? does it have a wire shank or is it cast from the rest of the button ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Dan, the shank is wire, one piece attached to the back of the button. I'm not really sure what it's made of it rang in like a penny I would say copper. TIA

I did a bit of research on the button in question. Im looking at the button and the chart I found you will see below. It have an "Alpha Shank", iin this case it would be right around the era of the coins that were found in the is area, early 1700's.

http://www.thebuttonmonger.com/content/June%202011.pdf
    Primary machine: Fisher F75 SE Black
    Killer B's Camo headphones
    Oldest coin: 1652 Massachusetts pine tree 6 pence

i agree it looks to be around in the 1700's sometime ...
    a good link Alan and in general a pretty accurate guide but remember there are exceptions to it once in a while . i would love to see a better closeup of the design on the front and shank on the back.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

It is a good write up, but mostly buttons are grouped in general time frames, probably because there are no good records of production. In one area they may last longer than in another area. Your best clue is to put it in context with other items you found there. That may date it more accurately. In other words, if everything you find there is early to mid 1700's and no items are from the latter part of the 1700's, then your button falls into that range. But some nice examples of types of shanks illustrated there.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold