Thread: Cleaning technique

Threaded View

Cleaning technique

this is a repost of an older thread as it may have been lost during the software transfer.

here is a Civil war era button i recently found , its a officer's Connecticut state seal coat button ( rare to find them not dented or pushed in )

just freshly dug with lots of dirt and grime

and heres after a warm soapy water and toothbrush scrubbing , while it is better it could be so much more appealing.

now this is more like it , this is after some water diluted in some CLR (calcium lime rust) remover and a toothbrush . it took only a few moments to get the dirt and grime stains off to reveal the eye popping gilt .

the clr can be harmful to items like copper if it is not diluted right and left too long on an item , be careful with it and practice using it on less valuable items first to understand its properties . you could damage a nice relic or item.

for example i will usually start with a 1/4 clr to 3/4 water mixture ratio dip the toothbrush into the solution and brush it vigorously for a few seconds or until i see the the foam discolor from the dirt. then rinse the item under the water and repeat until i'm happy with the results. then rinse item well pat dry and add a coating or light oil , vaseline or other to preserve the look and keep it from oxidizing and discoloring.

Dan
    Last edited by del; 12-05-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album