Thread: Early start to winter projects

Early start to winter projects

Even though winter is not really here in New England, as we still can detect, I'm starting one of my main winter projects early. Over the years I have collected boxes of scrap as well as good items that I was going to get to sooner or later Well that time has comePart 1 of my projects is to go through every single box and separate junk scrap from keepable artifacts. The junk is going to the scrap yard as soon as all of it is gone through. Part 2 will be to put all the "keepers" in groups (all buttons, buckles, drawer hardware, crotal bells, etc...). Part 3 is the cleaning, preserving and displaying of all the good finds. I'm hoping to get through Parts 1 & 2 this winter. So here is how I am doing part 1

I have set up a bench grinder and a fan that I use to score the junk metal to see what metal it really is, and to show the scrap yard that it is all the type of metal I am claiming it is. This is the quickest way if you are trying to do the quantity of material I am doing. It beats the Dremel I was using before The fan is a must since the dry dirt and the grinding of the metal produces some extremely fine particles which are extremely bad for your health. The next time I do this, I will be adding gloves and a heavy duty respirator.

Once I score the pieces, I fill up 5 gallon pails and wait for scrap day. I am scrapping everything...copper, brass lead, aluminum, tin and even iron...nothing is going to be left out. I want a clean slate for Spring 2014. So here are some pictures of my set up. I have a nice pile of keepers, one of which may be a hat plume holder.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by coinnut; 12-09-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

OH, so I'm not the only one to go home with tons of junk after a hunt.
    makes me feel better.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    OH, so I'm not the only one to go home with tons of junk after a hunt.
    makes me feel better.
    That's just a fraction of it

Veteran Member
    The boss informed me yesterday that it's time to gather my finds from the different drop zones and consolidate them for the holidays. Need the rooms cleaned for family visits. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Timewarpdigger View Post
    The boss informed me yesterday that it's time to gather my finds from the different drop zones and consolidate them for the holidays. Need the rooms cleaned for family visits. LOL

OH MY Better get on it!

We have 2 old riding greens mowers and a sprayer if you would like to add to your pile! :-)
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve View Post
    We have 2 old riding greens mowers and a sprayer if you would like to add to your pile! :-)
    he might take you up on that Steve , Lord knows his tumbler is large enough to handle them .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve View Post
    Send it up Dan and I can ride to those cellar holes in style

Man, you're gonna be busy!
    Garrett Ace250/DD, Minelab Sovereign ELITE, White's Surf PI Pro & Sunspot Stealth 720i....
    And coming (not soon enough) a Minelab E-Trac!!!! When did I become a Detector Collector???

I do this every season. Last year all my "junk" yielded about $130 in scrap metal between alum, stainless, lead, iron, brass, copper. This year I did not have nearly as much, so I think I will just save and combine with next years stuff. I am OCD about it, I can't throw anything metal in the trash any more.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

​Looks like you have allot of work ahead, but seems you have a good system for it.
    John.
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

Be careful using a grinding wheel with aluminum. It can plug the wheel and cause it to explode.
    Best wishes

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    Be careful using a grinding wheel with aluminum. It can plug the wheel and cause it to explode.
    Best wishes

Ron
    Thanks for the tip. I can usually tell the aluminum from the other metals. I use the grinder on the brass and copper mostly. I also have a polishing unit for aluminum tubing which I use for another project. That aluminum dust can be explosive, so I never polish aluminum and steel together. Now I have to check my wheels just to see what condition they are in Thanks again.