Thread: GPS on CTX3030

Smile GPS on CTX3030

Does the GPS help you stay on track?

I have not used the GPS but think it could help me completely cover a field that I have permission to detect. There is homestead that is long gone on the site and is now only a field. I want to grid the area of the home site and plan on using the GPS to help me along.

Any tips?

Greg
    Equipment: Whites XLT, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Propointer.
    Oldest coin: 1760's Chinese coin
    Favorite Find: 1940's Lone Ranger Badge
    Best question asked while detecting: "Do you find anything good with that Geiger Counter"

it helps a lot as well as slows you down to where you hunt an area better, because it allows you to see what areas you missed, you will be shocked at how much wandering you do when hunting and how much you missed the first time you use it, I have been using it a lot especially for areas I want to cover as good as I can.
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

I not sure what the GPS resolution is on the CTX. Typical GPS will be in the 3 to 5 meter range. Not fine enough for you to overlap your coil swings but close enough to show you where you might need to spend some more time searching.

I use Backcountry Navigator on my android and I agree with rsarge. It is funny to see how much you meander around a site. It can help you focus on areas you might not have paid enough attention to.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I recently tested the accuracy of the GPS on my CTX.
    I walked along a path in a park near my house and then looked at the plot on the exchange program.
    I was within 3 feet at the farthest and about 95% of the time I was dead on.
    I want to repeat the test with the GPS option set to enhanced to see if I notice an improvement.
    I was impressed.
    There were not any trees that could have obscured the line of sight to the satellites.
    ACE 250 ATpro GTI2500
    V3I
    CTX3030
    Surf PI Pro
    Gabby

When I enabled the WAAS I can't say I saw any difference in the accuracy.
    It is still very good!! I can't say it improved.
    I haven't been able to figure out whether it could make a difference where I live.
    The map shows that I'm within the coverage area, but I'm not convinced it helps????
    ACE 250 ATpro GTI2500
    V3I
    CTX3030
    Surf PI Pro
    Gabby

I still have not really used it much. I have not been to the old home site yet this year being as it is a distance from where I live, but will get there soon to give it a try.

Greg
    Equipment: Whites XLT, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Propointer.
    Oldest coin: 1760's Chinese coin
    Favorite Find: 1940's Lone Ranger Badge
    Best question asked while detecting: "Do you find anything good with that Geiger Counter"