Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your metal detecting goals for 2014?

What are your metal detecting goals for 2014?

The New Year is almost upon us. Do you have any metal detecting goals for 2014? Do you want to detect more? Is there a specific piece of equipment you'd like to acquire? A certain type of find you'd like to discover? A type a site you'd like to hunt? Do you want to find more silver this year? More coppers? More gold? Please share your goals for 2014.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Well Tony, Yes to all those questions.
    I definitely have the passion and i'm working on the experience I would love to come across one of hidden parks that haven't been hit hard and find some old coins. Given enough time, it will happen.
    My goal is to simply do better every month in 2014 and by the end of the season find a few more "Firsts"
    Besides parks, I'm going to research all winter and hopefully find some killer old school house sites.
    Don
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

My goal is to find some new fantastic old sites using overlay- it's fascinating to compare to old county maps & topos... very satisfying to find a site that (probably) I only know about. Although passers-by may think I'm a bit off my rocker hunting wayyyyy up a hill in a huge field, far away from where it looks like all the loot would be now-a-days next to baseball field and concessions in a large city park. Everyone knows all we're looking for and finding are pennies...

I've already found a couple old potential sites in woods next to creek (relaxing and isolated) near my house for convenient "quick-fix" hunts

As far as items, I'm hoping for seated silver, coppers and anything 1800's... my new sites are on maps from mid-1800's, so very likely.

Great thread idea Tony! I'm motivated for a successful 2014
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

My goal is to go over the church hill where I live with a fine toothed comb and recover every coin or relic there that I possibly can.
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Vibra-Quatic 2 Pinpointer
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel
    2007 Jeep JK to get me to where the treasure is!

My Youtube Channel! American Digger in Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AmericanDiggerInEurope

Seems simple but my goal is to relax and have a good time!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

my goal is also simple i want to get back into detecting with my 2 freinds that i have went with in the last year i had heart surgery so i missed a littl time last year if you ask me this hobby is only made better by the company you keep and i have a couple of keepers aka amx fred and earl i cant wait to get back in the spring dennis

Simply put, "YES' to everything you asked Tony. All of it and more.
    One goal that I have is to meet more fellow detectorists over the next year. I mostly hunt alone, and that's fine, but occasionally a little company would be welcome.
    The Best That You Know Is The Best That You've Had

Thanks for making me think.....

a State copper
    seated silver
    Capped bust silver
    any old copper with bust facing right

Knowing my physical state my main priority is just to be able to go detecting.

Best of luck to everybody in 2014
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

i have been doin this for 8 years or more ,i have found a 1750 colonial coin and a 750 ad roman coin ,the question is, what the heck else is there out there that needs to be found
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Simple goals for me. Get out when I can. Meet and enjoy the folks I meet. Continue learning and perfecting get my techniques.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Veteran Member
    Now that I have some experience with my detector I hope to be locating better locations to detect. I plan to do a lot more research during the winter so that I have sites ready for the spring. If all goes right I know that some of the items on my bucket list will come my way, and my find totals will be better then this year. Safe & HH

My goal is to take advantage of sites I see, instead of just saying "that looks like a good site to detect". I also want to mix it up a little and detect other places besides cellar holes.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I live fairly close to Lake Michigan. This year I want to do some early morning beach hunts.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

All thing considered, I've been pretty lucky in 2013! For 2014 I would like to maybe do a little more beach/shallow water hunting. I used to do about 10 beach hunts a year, but last year it was basically zero. I love the woods and private old homes and I'm sure Mike and I will be spending the majority of our hunts there, but maybe a few beach hunts added to the schedule.

2 other things I would love to find before I die... A gold coin and a massive old coin cache!
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Well my goals are to trust my hunches about an area more and to relax a bit more when I'm out on a site .

finding any of the following will meet my goal for 2014

a Mass. state copper
    a liberty cap cent
    a coin cache or coin purse spill of any kind
    a nice military relic of any kind ( belt plate , chest plate or very unique button )
    any large Spanish or early American Silver coin
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

The name says it all , pretty much finding anything would be nice . I feel fortunate just to be able to get out and hunt at my age . It will be nice when the daylight starts lasting longer again .

Hi Tony, my goal is to be able to get out more.....I got a new coil, I just have to be able to get out there and try it out. One coin I would love to find is a Morgan Dollar. My other goal is to go out and see if I can find a gold pocket watch my friends grandfather lost in a field, I think that would be so cool to be able to find it and I know he would be pretty happy too.

Candidate Member
    My goal for this year. I hope my 1967 Ford truck, my dog of 13 years and myself [ 69 ] make it until 1/1/15.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Seems simple but my goal is to relax and have a good time!
    I concur. But since I did that last year as well, my NEW goal is to find a silver coin. However, I would also like to acknowledge that finding a gold ring would be equally acceptable in my view.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

1. Detect more
    2. Mercury Dime
    3. Indian cent

Stretch Goal: 14k or better ring in the water.

Greg
    Equipment: Whites XLT, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Propointer.
    Oldest coin: 1760's Chinese coin
    Favorite Find: 1940's Lone Ranger Badge
    Best question asked while detecting: "Do you find anything good with that Geiger Counter"