Thread: Help with Age of Well?

Help with Age of Well?

This is a picture looking down into a well on a property that I am looking forward to MDing in the spring. Any thoughts on the approximate age of this well?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Darren wells are usually as old as the home site thats associated with them .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Homes are long, long gone here and there are no homes shown in the area on plat maps from the 1860's and 1870's. There are no foundations or cellars, all that remains are three wells that all look similar to this one. This one was full up to the top with dirt and debris, but the land owner has been excavating it out over the past couple of years, he is down 28 feet so far on this one.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

No help here Milco but that is an interesting site. Have you searched the dirt that was removed? I've heard that people used to throw all kinds of stuff down their wells.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

The best way to date that well is to detect around it and see what the finds tell you. With enough research, you may be able to tell by the construction of the well, but different areas probably had different techniques. Plus more rural areas may use old well building techniques for many years after they have been updated in other areas.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I believe coinnut is dead on. FWIW, I have seen similar stone work in a well at a site that use to have an old trading station on it here in Kentucky from the 1760 - 1790. Who ever did that stone work really knew what they were doing. I would send the pictures to a local university that has an archaeology department and see if they can date it for you. Good Hunting!
    V3i DX-1, D2, 6x10, 4x6, Super-12, 10x14DD