Thread: Shallow fresh water detecting ?

Smile Shallow fresh water detecting ?

OK, since I am fairly new to detecting in the water a question arises.

While detecting swim areas is it better to detect in deeper water?

Maybe a silly question but please humor me

Greg
    Equipment: Whites XLT, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Propointer.
    Oldest coin: 1760's Chinese coin
    Favorite Find: 1940's Lone Ranger Badge
    Best question asked while detecting: "Do you find anything good with that Geiger Counter"

I'm not a fresh water guy, but know a bit about hunting in the water.

If you can find a beach... you know, the kind where mom lays in the sun while the kids play in shallow water? Here's how it works:

Mom arrives at the "towel line" and puts sunscreen on the kiddies and herself... all the time wearing her wedding rings. Sooner or later, she's going to venture into the water to either cool off herself or yell at little Billy for trying to drown his sister.

Remember that sunscreen? Well, it makes her hand slippery. Combine that with the cooler water causing a slight shrinkage of her fingers and you have "a perfect storm"... that ring stands a pretty good chance of coming off (un-noticed) in the shallow water.

So, if I'm looking for jewelry (who's not?), I'll pick the shallow water just off a sun-bathing beach every time.
    Last edited by Lowjiber; 01-26-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spell
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

It depends too on how much competition you have. I've seen times where there were 4-5 waders all working the same limited amount of designated swim area at a park. When that is the case, getting out just past chin deep where they stop is the only place that you'll find anything, and that requires snorkeling or diving gear be employed.
    The Best That You Know Is The Best That You've Had

I have read and tend to believe that 95% of everything lost while swimming is within the first 4.5 feet of water. Now in the ocean that moves with the tide. The ocean also tends to move lost items around. In fresh water items only go down, usually when stepped on.