Thread: 1976 revisited Part 2

Elite Member

1976 revisited Part 2

Part 2 of my Dad's Log from 1976. I was a bit surprised that his finds were down from March and April and he stayed pretty close to home. It is still pretty interesting at what he found in areas I am still able to hunt and find a few things yet. May and June still did not show many really old finds but he still found a pretty good count on silver. Also like my first posting, it is amazing on how many Halves he found. It definitely shows how most areas were never hunted or hunted with some pretty poor equipment. Here is the summary for May and June.

323 Wheats 791 lincolns 4 foreign coins 1 V nickel 1 Buffalo 3 War Nickels 52 Reg. nickels 39 Mercs 36 Rosies 159 Reg. Dimes

1 Barber .25 3 SL .25 14 Washingtons 71 Reg. .25 1 Barber Half 4 Walkers 1 Ben Franklin and 3 Reg .50

I also noticed a few notes on rings including 2 Gold but not much detail on what they were. I also wish he would of had some notes on some of the relics he found but at the time I doubt he thought much of that. I do remember several silver thimbles but I have no idea where they ended up. Hope you enjoy this 2 month summary and in a few weeks I should be able to add a photo or two of some coins he found that I still have. Thx Wisconsin Digger

Veteran Member
    Thanks for posting your dad's logs. I hope that this brings back some great memories for you. Reading them has brought back some great memories from when I worked with my dad building homes many years ago. Truly great memories!!! Thanks again, safe & HH.

Wow, pretty wild! I remember some of 1976 as I was only 6 . I remember going to see the freedom train when it came to our town.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Nice logs. The finds may be down due to the weather or maybe he didn't get to hunt as much as he did the last two months. But some nice numbers considering the technology that was available at the time. I could never go back to them days
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Nice to read. Kep a journal on line here.
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Wow that's great for 2 months! I quickly counted about 100 silvers
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Oh the good old days. For two months the counts are amazing.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album