Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found my first Franklin Half today!

Found my first Franklin Half today!

I've been hitting this place quite often over the past 8 months, because it's right around the corner from my house- very convenient for a quick fix lol It's been on the market forever @ 1.3 million for 1800 house and 3 1/2 acres. I love hunting uninhabited houses, don't have to worry about the owners worrying about their perfect lawns. Anyway, I finally found some 'real' silver, Franklin Half, there today! (I found a '43 S silver war nickel there earlier this year along with about 5 or 6 wheats and of course buttons, buckles and bullets- the 3 Bs we all love to find and collect )

I was getting ready to leave disappointed with nothing to show for my hour of swinging & literally my LAST swing right next to my car ---- BAM! 90+ just singing away, no doubt about it... It was only 3 maybe 4 down, laying flat and right against the edge of the blacktop! This is my first half and feels so good!!

Everything I've found there so far & not giving up! The large object I'm getting ready to post in 'What is it' section with more pics -it's shaped kinda odd. I'm thinking some kind of hoe/farming implement

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Re: Found my first Franklin Half today!

VERY nice Tana! Beautiful half! Congratulations on your first! I'll bet you did the dance
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Thanks Angie! You need to go out to this place with me... and it's right next to a great place where I haven't found anything good yet- maybe you will!

Oh man A little bit ago my 2 yr old, Logan, got a hold of my half and hid it somewhere! We were looking everywhere- he said he couldn't remember where he put it. I finally found it in his little toy cash register rofl
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Sweet dig! Does anyone bug you while you hunt there? There's an empty for sale farmhouse near me that I've wanted to hunt badly but I just don't have the nerve.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Quote Originally Posted by z118 View Post
    Sweet dig! Does anyone bug you while you hunt there? There's an empty for sale farmhouse near me that I've wanted to hunt badly but I just don't have the nerve.
    I got permission from owners 8 months ago and haven't seen them once. Funny you ask, lately people are stopping by to look at the house/land & end up watching me dig, asking me a thousand questions (keeping me from my hunting ) This lady yesterday was so nice, she was absolutely enthralled by the idea of MD'ing and wants to buy a detector now. She said if she buys the house, I can come back and hunt ANYTIME

Does that old farm house have for sale sign w/phone # on it? The worse that can happen is they say $#% NO! I hate it when that happens, not often, but usually the 'NO' comes with liability issues. I like asking over phone better than in person.

Good luck hunting there- go for it!! I want to see what you find lol I love this forum
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Nice Job ,Some nice finds. Yazoo

Hey Tana, Nice half and congrats on your first I don't have a Franklin yet. But it is real nice seeing a huge silver coin staring at you from the bottom of the hole lol Kinda makes you giddy!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Silver that big sure looks pretty coming out of the ground, doesn't it. Surprisingly enough, we don't see many of those Franklin half dollars posted often. That is a really sweet find. Congrats!

I've yet to find a half. Nice going!
    Garrett Ace 250 - Whites Eagle Spectrum - Whites MXT - [Modified] Whites Surf PI Pro - Minelab E-TRAC
    I have ADD!!! (Addiction to Detecting Disorder)

You could have saved a LOT of walking before finding that sweet half, if you'd started by the tire shown in the picture lol. It sure is great to see silver shine in the hole isnt it? big congrats !!

I can see you dancin' already
    Good for you!!
    Yeah.... ol'Benny's on my hit list too
    Big CONGRATS to ya thumbsup01

Only 1.3 mill Thats it ??........ lol.... I wish ....rofl
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    You could have saved a LOT of walking before finding that sweet half, if you'd started by the tire shown in the picture lol.
    Yeah really! No kidding, it was my very last swing before I was going to put my detector in the car. Because my 2 yr old was in the car (doors open, in the shade ) saying my movie is over mommy, let's go eat lol He's such a good sport & usually likes to help me dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Only 1.3 mill Thats it ??........ lol.... I wish ....rofl
    Very valuable land in horse country, prime shopping mall location, unfortunately. I hope somebody buys it to live & breed horses, so I can keep driving past and enjoy the aesthetically pleasing view
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    Very valuable land in horse country, prime shopping mall location, unfortunately. I hope somebody buys it to live & breed horses, so I can keep driving past and enjoy the aesthetically pleasing view
    For your sake I hope so too thumbsup01
    I know how depressing urban sprawl is
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Hey Tana, I love the avatar! Is that the Derby hat?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hey Tana, Nice half and congrats on your first I don't have a Franklin yet. But it is real nice seeing a huge silver coin staring at you from the bottom of the hole lol Kinda makes you giddy!
    Giddy is the word! And I thought I got giddy from finding a new Hot Wheel for my collection rofl
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Hey Tana, I love the avatar! Is that the Derby hat?
    lol No actually it's my Tana Cat Sunflower grassroots music festival straw hat! You should see my step-mom's hats, she is a hard core Ky Derby queen and goes all out on the big hats!
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Good job Tana, Looks like that one almost got covered with blacktop. Keep hunting that place there should be more somewhere. thumbsup01
    Vision, DX-1

Quote Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
    Nice Job ,Some nice finds. Yazoo
    Oh thanks for your XLT programming advice the other day, I got amp gain up to 10 with several more depth. like you said --- 9 I'd give you credit for this half if it hadn't been but just a few inches deep lol
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by handyman View Post
    Good job Tana, Looks like that one almost got covered with blacktop. Keep hunting that place there should be more somewhere. thumbsup01
    Thanks! Join me there again- the 2 acres of field were mowed fairly recently. lol at least not 2 ft high like it was

Btw, I think there's a silver dollar at far corner under the blacktop, towards where you were hunting. I think I'll dig down and around under, worth a try! Do you remember it? You checked it out with your V3- I can't remember what you said about it.
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

sweet! nice franklin! and don't let coinnut fool ya..he's always giddy even with a big silver staring at him from a dark dirty hole
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers